Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Mix well and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture become light brown.
This mix, which can be prepared beforehand, is called a "roux", and in this case a "blond roux". If you continue cooking, you will get a "brown roux".
- 10 min.Pour 2 glasses milk (cold) onto the roux, all at once. Mix thoroughly.
You have there the secret of succeeding with a bechamel:
- if roux is hot, add cold milk
- if roux is cold (perpared beforehand), add hot milk
Salt, pepper and add grated nutmeg.
Leave to cook on low heat, stirring up continuously until bechamel thickens.
- The thickness of bechamel is a question of taste.
- You can make variations on bechamel: like for example Mornay sauce, which is a bechamel with grated cheese added.
Remarks:Bechamel can be easily made beforehand, and reheated when necessary.
Recipes which use it: 14, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Naan, Four quarters, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Fish in white wine, Apple and almond gratin, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pink Reims biscuits, Elsa's Comtoise galette, Cornmeal baps for Anne, Fish in a sesame crust, Flamiche, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Polenta, Toasted almond cake, Muffin dough, Loaf for "les filles'", Potato Waffles with Smoked Salmon, ... [All]
- Grated nutmeg: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potato gratin, Pasta with green asparagus, Foie gras cured in salt, New York style pasta, Gratin Dauphinois, ... [All]