Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Mix well and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture become light brown.
This mix, which can be prepared beforehand, is called a "roux", and in this case a "blond roux". If you continue cooking, you will get a "brown roux".
- 10 min.Pour 2 glasses milk (cold) onto the roux, all at once. Mix thoroughly.
You have there the secret of succeeding with a bechamel:
- if roux is hot, add cold milk
- if roux is cold (perpared beforehand), add hot milk
Salt, pepper and add grated nutmeg.
Leave to cook on low heat, stirring up continuously until bechamel thickens.
- The thickness of bechamel is a question of taste.
- You can make variations on bechamel: like for example Mornay sauce, which is a bechamel with grated cheese added.
Remarks:Bechamel can be easily made beforehand, and reheated when necessary.
Recipes which use it: 14, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Dipping bread with cheese, Chocolate sauce, Chocolate eclairs, Potato gratin, Kugelhof for Nanou, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Salmon and Spinach Gratin, Flognarde, French croissants, "BN style" chocolate-filled biscuits, Quick Strawberry Millefeuille, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate cake, Cherry clafoutis, Pitta bread, Cheese tart, Génoise (Genoa sponge), ... [All]
- Grated nutmeg: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Gratin Dauphinois, Pasta with green asparagus, Foie gras cured in salt, Potato gratin, New York style pasta, ... [All]