Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Mix well and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture become light brown.
This mix, which can be prepared beforehand, is called a "roux", and in this case a "blond roux". If you continue cooking, you will get a "brown roux".
- 10 min.Pour 2 glasses milk (cold) onto the roux, all at once. Mix thoroughly.
You have there the secret of succeeding with a bechamel:
- if roux is hot, add cold milk
- if roux is cold (perpared beforehand), add hot milk
Salt, pepper and add grated nutmeg.
Leave to cook on low heat, stirring up continuously until bechamel thickens.
- The thickness of bechamel is a question of taste.
- You can make variations on bechamel: like for example Mornay sauce, which is a bechamel with grated cheese added.
Remarks:Bechamel can be easily made beforehand, and reheated when necessary.
Recipes which use it: 14Of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Walnut short bread, Sicilian Epiphany Pie, Flaky chocolate brioche, Sauce Normande (for fish), Fish in white wine, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Aperitif rolls, Carbonnade, Biscuit de Savoie sponge cake, Naan, Gâteau Breton (Brittany butter cake), ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Lemon Confectioner's Custard, Chocolate sauce, Little vanilla, clementine and chestnut verrines, Chaud-froid of grapefruit, pineapple and lime custard , Toasted almond cake, ... [All]