Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Mix well and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture become light brown.
This mix, which can be prepared beforehand, is called a "roux", and in this case a "blond roux". If you continue cooking, you will get a "brown roux".
- 10 min.Pour 2 glasses milk (cold) onto the roux, all at once. Mix thoroughly.
You have there the secret of succeeding with a bechamel:
- if roux is hot, add cold milk
- if roux is cold (perpared beforehand), add hot milk
Salt, pepper and add grated nutmeg.
Leave to cook on low heat, stirring up continuously until bechamel thickens.
- The thickness of bechamel is a question of taste.
- You can make variations on bechamel: like for example Mornay sauce, which is a bechamel with grated cheese added.