Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 20 min.Pour 60 ml dry white wine and 40 ml white (spirit) vinegar into a saucepan on medium heat. Salt and pepper, then add the chopped shallot.
Bring to the boil and leave to reduce gently by 3/4, until very little liquid is left.
You can add 2 tablespoons liquid cream at this stage, which is not essential, but - apparently - this is the secret of a successful beurre blanc.
- Turn down the heat and begin incorporating 250 g butter (very cold) gradually in small pieces, beating continuously.
- Only add more butter once the previous pieces have melted.
- 10 min.Continue until all the butter has been incorporated and you have a smooth sauce.
- Beurre blanc can be kept hot for a few minutes at 50°C (122°F), but not too long.
Serve in a sauce boat or on the plates.
Remarks:For a smoother sauce, you can finish the sauce by passing it through a fine strainer or sieve, to eliminate the bits of shallot, or use a blender.
And to drink?A dry white wine with a small acidity like Muscadet for example.
Source:Nicolas's BEP cookery textbook.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Colcannon, Cookies, Nanou's chocolate cake, Kouign-amann brioche, Potato Waffles with Smoked Salmon, ... [All]
- Dry white wine: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Quiche Bretonne, Béarnaise sauce, Hot box cheese , Fillets of sole Dieppoise, Seafood sauerkraut, ... [All]
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chinese style chicken, Sliced chicken with mushrooms and broccoli, Sea bass with coriander cream en papillote, "Oeufs rabattus" with leeks, Pork medallions with "full" turnips, ... [All]
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pickled gherkins, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Fresh pasta dough, Poached eggs, ... [All]