Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 20 min.Pour 60 ml dry white wine and 40 ml white (spirit) vinegar into a saucepan on medium heat. Salt and pepper, then add the chopped shallot.
Bring to the boil and leave to reduce gently by 3/4, until very little liquid is left.
You can add 2 tablespoons liquid cream at this stage, which is not essential, but - apparently - this is the secret of a successful beurre blanc.
- Turn down the heat and begin incorporating 250 g butter (very cold) gradually in small pieces, beating continuously.
- Only add more butter once the previous pieces have melted.
- 10 min.Continue until all the butter has been incorporated and you have a smooth sauce.
- Beurre blanc can be kept hot for a few minutes at 50°C (122°F), but not too long.
Serve in a sauce boat or on the plates.
Remarks:For a smoother sauce, you can finish the sauce by passing it through a fine strainer or sieve, to eliminate the bits of shallot, or use a blender.
And to drink?A dry white wine with a small acidity like Muscadet for example.
Source:Nicolas's BEP cookery textbook.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Plain cake, Mussels marinière, Chocolate sauce, Pretzels, Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), ... [All]
- Dry white wine: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sauce Normande (for fish), Scallops with cabbage julienne, Seafood sauerkraut, Langoustine gratin, Mackerel Fillets in White Wine, ... [All]
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Blanquette of veal, Coq au vin, Roast beef "like they do it in Santa Fe", Artichokes with beef, Hotpot my grandmother's way , ... [All]
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Mackerel Fillets in White Wine, How to prepare corn salad, Béarnaise sauce, How to prepare cabbage, Poached eggs, ... [All]