Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Then slowly pour the hot milk onto the mixture while beating continuously until thoroughly mixed.
- 2 min.Transfer the mixture back into the pan.
- 7 min.Put the pan on low-medium heat, and cook gently while beating continuously.
It's important to scrape the whisk over the bottom of the pan to avoid custard sticking.
- Cooking is complete when custard is of a good consistency, in other words like a thickish purée, but not too firm..
The custard thickens quite quickly, especially if the heat is high, so do not to hesitate to take pan off heat, while continuing to stir, if this happens.
Also, remember that your custard will continue cooking for a little while after being removed from the heat, so bear this in mind when deciding at what point to stop...
- Once custard is finished, cover the pan to avoid a skin forming.
Later, if you use the custard cold and it is too stiff, beat one or two tablespoonsful of cream into it vigorously.
- When finished, cream is very hot, if you want to use it immediately you should cool it.
The easier solution is to put it in the fridge, but it's quite long.
The best way is to proceed as chefs, and spread it on a plastic film (to protect from the air) then put it in the fridge.
- This short video show you how to proceed.
Remarks:It's possible to flavour confectioner's custurd with other things rather than vanilla: coffee, alcohols, etc... You can also make a chocolate custard by folding about 100 g of chocolate, broken in small pieces into the custard with the whisk while it is still hot.
Recipes which use it: 16, of which:
Source:After Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Bechamel sauce, Little vanilla, clementine and chestnut verrines, Apricot blancmange, Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , Buckwheat pancakes, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Quick bramble jelly, Crêpes Suzette, How to succeed in making sabayon (syllabub), Fruit crumble, Candied grapefruit peel, ... [All]
- Cornflour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, Gâteau Basque , Blanquette of veal, Langoustine gratin, ... [All]
- Egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Flognarde, Key Lime Pie for Jeremy, Salmon chard rolls, Quiche Lorraine, Thin endive tart, ... [All]