Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.Pour 2 tablespoons vinegar into a jar (old jam jar).
- 1 min.Add fine (or table) salt.
- Put the lid on
- 1 min.... and shake well. This is necessary to mix vinegar and salt, which works less well once oil is added.
- 1 min.Open the jar and add 6 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1 min.Then 1 teaspoon French mustard.
- 1 min.And pepper.
- Put the lid back on the jar...
- 1 min.... and shake well again to make the vinaigrette.
- It's ready.
You can now, if you like, add herbs, shallot, garlic, etc.
- You can also see the complete video of this recipe.
Remarks:It's important to keep the ratio of 3 times oil to vinegar.
The more mustard you add, the thicker your vinaigrette will be.
You can prepare your vinaigrette beforehand and keep it sealed in the fridge. If you add herbs, onion or shallot, I suggest that you put them in only at the last minute, otherwise vinaigrette will "burn" them if they stay in too long. The best method is to add these to your salad, then pour on vinaigrette just before serving.
About herbs, please note that they are not just a "cosmetic" addtion, they add both flavour and finesse to your dressing. I particularly like parsley and chives, but there are many others.
I'm sure that when you have tasted your own vinaigrette, you will never buy those ersatz vinaigrettes from the supermarket again.
Recipes which use it: 30, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs with tomatoes and courgettes, New York style pasta, Pesto, Leek and tuna loaf, Pan-fried scallops and chanterelles with Noilly Prat sauce, ... [All]
- Vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Vol-au-vent, Artichoke hearts forestier , Rillettes stuffed mushrooms, Mayonnaise, Lumberjack turnovers, ... [All]
- French mustard: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Potimarron and celeriac autumn soup, Celeriac soup with mustard, Vegetable pie, Crispy smoked salmon and herb rolls, Filet mignon with mustard and tarragon sauce, ... [All]
- Fine (or table) salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mixed salad stack, How to prepare cucumber, Lille style chicken, Comtoise stuffed tomatoes, Rabbit terrine, ... [All]