Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 1 min.
- 3 min.
- 10 min.Pour in 500 ml red wine, mix and leave to reduce by 3/4 on low heat.
- 5 min.Strain the contents of the pan through a small strainer to remove the shallot, which should be discarded. Pour the liquid back into the pan after wiping round it quickly with absorbant paper.
Straining the sauce doesn't really affect the flavour but it improves the texture, making it smoother and glossier. However, it is not absolutely necessary.
Note: if you wish to prepare the sauce a few days in advance of use, the liquid at this stage can be kept in the fridge in a sealed container.
- 10 min.
- Serve without delay, either in a sauce boat or on the plates.
Remarks:If you don't have shallots, use onion instead.
And to drink?The same wine you use to make the sauce, traditionally a red Bordeaux, or a Cabernet Sauvignon.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Roscoff loaf, Mulled wine Belle-Plagne style, How to slow cook meat, Rabbit civet, Eggs meurette, ... [All]
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chinese style chicken, Nanou's tuna tart, How to slow cook meat, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Cretan-style salmon , ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sorrel soup, Flaky chocolate brioche, Passion fruit jellies, Fillet of pollack cooked in two stages, Brioche dough, ... [All]
- Beef stock cube: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Roquefort sauce, Hotpot my grandmother's way , Couscous, Spaghetti Bolognese, Express chilli con carne, ... [All]