Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 1 min.
- 3 min.
- 10 min.Pour in 500 ml red wine, mix and leave to reduce by 3/4 on low heat.
- 5 min.Strain the contents of the pan through a small strainer to remove the shallot, which should be discarded. Pour the liquid back into the pan after wiping round it quickly with absorbant paper.
Straining the sauce doesn't really affect the flavour but it improves the texture, making it smoother and glossier. However, it is not absolutely necessary.
Note: if you wish to prepare the sauce a few days in advance of use, the liquid at this stage can be kept in the fridge in a sealed container.
- 10 min.
- Serve without delay, either in a sauce boat or on the plates.
Remarks:If you don't have shallots, use onion instead.
And to drink?The same wine you use to make the sauce, traditionally a red Bordeaux, or a Cabernet Sauvignon.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Winemaker's toast, Eggs meurette, Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Roscoff loaf, How to slow cook meat, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs en Cocotte à la Française, Panettone, Potatoes with prawns, Sautéed green vegetables, Tea and white chocolate biscuits, ... [All]
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spinach Omelette, Hachis parmentier : meat with mashed potato and cheese, Spaghetti with smoked salmon, Ramekins of duchess potatoes, Upside-down Parmentier, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tatin apples with mascarpone cream, Lille style chicken, Plain cake, Chocolate cake, Chestnut Fudge Cupcakes, ... [All]