Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Cut 8 vanillas pod into 4 or 5 sections, remove ends and discard.
- 1 min.Put in a food-processor with ¼ of 800 g caster sugar.
- 3 min.Blend 2 or 3 minutes.
- 2 min.Sieve the result through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- 15 min.Put remaining vanilla pods into food processor, add another ¼ of sugar and repeat the operation.
Continue until you have used all the sugar.
- At the end, you will have a little sugar left with the vanilla pods that's impossible to sieve. Do not throw it away: use in a recipe like crème brûlée where you can dissolve it in hot milk which will be then filtered.
- Put your vanilla sugar in an airtight jar and keep, if possible, 3 weeks before using, so that the vanilla aromas mix well with the sugar.
During these three weeks, stir it with a fork once a week, so that it does not form lumps.
You can make multiples of the proportions indicated, but it is important to respect 100 g sugar per vanilla pod.
Recipes which use it: 55Of which:
Jamie Oliver (I think...). This recipe is warmly dedicated to Randy Bell from Toronto.