Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
Roll out the pastry on the worktop to about 1 cm (0.4 inch) thick.
This is easier if you use two guides of the right height; here I am using steel rules.
- 2 min.Using a 7cm (3 inch) diameter cutter, "mark" the pastry. In other words, do not cut completely through it, but stop before reaching the worktop.
This is the inner circle that will be taken out to form the hollow inside of the case in due course.
- 2 min.Next, using a 9 cm (3.5 inch) cutter - preferably fluted, as this is prettier - cut right through to the worktop.
- 10 min.Cut out circles like this with all the pastry.
- 2 min.
- 20 min.Bake in the oven until the pastry is well risen.
- 3 min.After baking, remove the little "hat" and hollow out the case to take the filling.
Your vol-au-vent cases are ready for use. If you are not planning to use them immediately, they will be better if reheated in the oven.
Recipes which use it: 1
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Shallot confit tart, Rustic chicken and mushroom pie, Olive twists, How to cook caramelized puff pastry well, Puits d'amour, ... [All]
- Beaten egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tea and white chocolate biscuits, Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, Rustic chicken and mushroom pie, Tomato feuilleté with pesto, Cochelin d'Evreux, ... [All]