Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.Peel 4 apples, cut in four and remove core.
- 20 min.Melt 40 g butter (clarified if possible) in a frying pan over high heat, add apple quarters.
Cook 2 or 3 minutes, then sprinkle with 3 tablespoons caster sugar and cook a few more minutes until well caramelised.
- 10 min.Slice 300 g Stewed apple (compote) fairly thinly (1/2 cm or 0.4 inch thick) and remove crust.
Cut into rectangles same height as your mould, and triangles for top and bottom.
Try the brioches pieces in the mould to check for fit: the rectangles should overlap slightly.
- 3 min.Turn on the grill.
Melt 3 tablespoons Clarified butter.
Put all the brioche pieces on a grill pan or thick baking sheet.
- 5 min.Using a brush, coat each slice of brioche with melted butter, then sprinkle with some caster sugar.
- 1 min.Put under the grill.
- 5 min.Supervise carefully, remove brioche pieces as soon as they are golden brown.
- 5 min.Brush the mould with melted butter, then put in 1 tablespoon caster sugar and spread it around evenly by shaking and turning.
We do this to make turning out easier after cooking.
Preheat oven to 392°F (200°C).
- 3 min.Line the mould with brioche pieces, toasted side against the mould, overlapping the rectangles slightly.
- 2 min.Add stewed apples to about ¼ depth of mould.
- 2 min.Then a layer of caramelized apples .
- 4 min.Then a second stewed apples layer, and finally a layer of brioche .
- 40 min.Put in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- 20 min.Allow to cool a for a while before turning out.
- Enjoy cold or warm with whipped cream (creme chantilly - delightful!) or real custard (crème anglaise).
For a quicker, easier version, don't make caramelized apples, just used more stewed apple.