Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Peel 8 apples, and cut in half across.
- 5 min.Remove cores, no matter if the apples break during this operation.
- 5 min.Cut each half apple in half again.
- 30 min.
- 3 min.Meanwhile, spread out the first circle of puff patry (this will be the pie base), prick it with a fork or a pique-vite. Put back in the fridge.
- 3 min.Spead out the second puff pastry circle (pie lid) and make a small hole in the centre to allow steam to escape during cooking (the "chimney").
Put back in the fridge.
- Apples will be caramelized after about 30 minutes.
- 10 min.Take out the pie base, place on work surface and spread the apples over, caramel side upwards and packed well towards the centre, to within about 1 cm - ½ inch of edge.
- 3 min.With a brush, moisten edge of pastry with cold water.
- 5 min.Place the second pastry circle on top.
- 5 min.Press all around the edge to seal.
- 3 min.If necessary cut round...
- ...and trim off any excess.
- 3 min.Glaze top with beaten egg-yolk.
- 25 min.Leave in the fridge while oven preheats to 210°C or 410°F.
Put in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Watch the coloration: as soon as it looks like the photo, it's done.
- Serve warm if possible.
Remarks:You might find it easier to glaze with beaten egg-yolk just after cutting the "chimney".
If you prefer the classic version, with frangipane or almond cream, check out this other recipe: epiphany galette.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cornmeal baps for Anne, Ice-cream Vacherin, Old style brioche, Tiramisu, Panettone, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Jam doughnuts, Fish in a sesame crust, Scrambled eggs (Oeufs brouillés), Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), ... [All]
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Toffee apple upside-down cake, Alsatian apple tart, Bonnevaux apple tart, Brioche Tatin, Express apple tart, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Leek and artichoke tart à la piémontaise, Crusty pistachio, almond and apricot flan, Little caramelized peach tarts, Express apple tart, Pecan fruit rolls , ... [All]