Step by step recipe:
- 50 min.Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
Prepare a mixture for crème brulée with 170 g cream, 170 g whole milk, 40 g caster sugar, 4 egg yolks and 1 vanilla pod.
Once this is made, if you have time, put the pan back over low heat and allow to thicken as for real custard (crème anglaise). This is not essential, but it will prevent all the vanilla grains falling to the bottom of the dish during cooking, which is unattractive.
- 10 min.
- 30 min.Leave the creams to cook 20-30 minutes until just set.
Remove from oven, leave to cool to room temperature, then put in the fridge.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Put the pan over low heat, and beat gently with a whisk.
As soon as well mixed and hot (no need for it to boil), remove from heat and add softened gelatin, after draining and drying.
Stir again to mix well.
- 3 min.Leave coconut cream to cool, and when at room temperature add 3 tablespoons Malibu rum. Mix well.
Adding Malibu is not essential, but it brings out the flavour of the coconut.
- 2 hoursDivide the coconut cream between the glasses or dishes, on top of the vanilla cream.
Tip: put a tea-towel on a baking sheet to hold the glasses still.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
Up to this stage everything can be prepared the previous day, even two days before.
- 1 hour 12 min.Prepare your coconut tuiles.
- 3 min.Place a coconut tuile on top of each cream and serve without delay.
- Ideally your guests should be able to break the tuile with a spoon, then taste both the coconut and vanilla creams together in the same mouthful.
Remarks:If possible remove the creams from the fridge about an hour before serving and leave at room temperature. They are best served cool but not too cold, as then they have less flavour. But only add the tuile at the last minute.
For a more stylish presentation, pour a ribbon of chocolate over the tuiles, or sprinkle them with a little cocoa powder.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Unsweetened coconut milk: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Like Bounty, African style chicken, Bounty-style tart for Alison, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate muffins, Chocolate cream with a crunch, irish coffee mousse, Mushroom Pancakes au Gratin, Caesar salad, Scallops with fondue of leeks, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Hot chocolate, Naan, Pain perdu, Chocolate and vanilla crème brûlée, Real custard sauce (crème anglaise), ... [All]