Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 3 min.With a brush dipped in cold water, moisten all round the edge of each circle, to help them stick later.
- 5 min.On one circle, spread 300 g Almond cream or frangipane in an even layer, stopping inside the moistened edge.
On the photos you can see this is about ½ cm or ¼ inch thick. You can add more if you like.
- 1 min.Don't forget the charm...(see translator's note below).
- 2 min.Make a small hole in the centre of the other circle, this will be the "chimney" where steam can escape during cooking.
- 5 min.Place the second circle on top of the first one.
- 5 min.Then fold over the edges a few millimeters to completely stick the two circles.
You can now press the top of the galette gently with a rolling pin, to distribute almond cream evenly.
- 5 min.Glaze the top with beaten egg-yolk.
- 3 min.It you wish, you can cut a pattern with the point of a knife .
Refridgerate for one hour.
Preheat oven to 430°F (220°C).
- 30 min.Put in the bottom of your oven for 20 - 30 minutes. Be careful to watch for coloration.
Remarks:You can also replace almond cream with stewed apples, or other stewed fruits.
[translator's note: Epiphany celebrates the arrival of the 3 wise men or kings to see the baby Jesus. Whoever finds the charm - chew with caution! - in the galette is proclaimed "king" (or queen) of the feast. Bakeries usually include a gold cardboard crown with each galette sold. The charms, usually ceramic, are very collectable. A large dried bean ("fève" = bean in French) could be used instead].
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Almond cream or frangipane: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pear tart with almond cream, Rhubarb tart, Apple amandine tarts from Brélès, Plum tart, Brioche slices with almond cream, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Olive twists, Express apple tart, Beef Wellington, Comtoise tart for Seàn, Shallot confit tart, ... [All]
- Beaten egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French croissants, Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), Caramelised apple pie, Eggs in brioche nests, Milk rolls, ... [All]