Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Start the mixer at low speed until mixture is homogeneous.
Turn the speed up a little, then add 130 g butter a little at a time.
Continue mixing for a few minutes until the mixture is homogeneous.
- 2 hoursGather up the dough, and put under a damp tea-towel in a warm place for about 2 hours.
- 10 min.
- Check that the dough has about doubled in size.
- 3 min.Tip onto floured working surface, and divide in two.
- 5 min.Put each half into a pie dish, mould or tin.
- 1 hourAnd with your hand (dusted with flour to avoid sticking), spread dough evenly over the dish.
Cover with a plastic sheet and leave to rise for one hour.
- At the end of this time, preheat oven to 200°C or 392°F.
- 3 min.With a tablespoon (dusted with flour to avoid sticking), create a kind of hollow in the centre of the pie to receive the cream filling.
- 3 min.Pour half of the cream in the centre of each cake, and put in the oven without delay.
- 25 min.Remove from the oven when the cake is golden brown, after about 25 minutes.
Remarks:The domestic cake or "goumeau cake" goes dry rapidly, so best eaten on the day it's made.
Unfortunately it's getting difficult to find a good household cake, even in its region of origin,the Haut-Doubs. By "good", I mean: fresh-baked that day, light, not just sweetened in a hurry, but with a true cream. It's a great pity that bakers from Franche-comté are allowing this traditional recipe to be forgotten.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Lobster Thermidor, Gâteau Nantais, Finger biscuits, Béarnaise sauce, Fillets of sole meunière, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Salmon and spinach quiche, Scallops with fondue of leeks, Cheese tart, Sliced cauliflower with 3 cheeses, Quartet of brassicas with cream , ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Scrambled eggs with butter-fried bread and fresh spinach, Prune Far, Tatin apples with mascarpone cream, Moist cereal bars, Butter cream, ... [All]