Step by step recipe:
- 50 min.
- 20 min.
- 1 min.When custard has cooled to room temperature, add whipped cream...
- 5 min....and incorporate by folding in gently with the bowl tipped over on its side.
Another method: transfer a few spoonfuls of custard into the cream, mix gently, then pour this cream mixture into the remaining custard and fold in. gently.
Keep this charlotte mixture at room temperature.
- 5 min.Cut circles of cooking parchment or greaseproof paper to the size of the bottom of the moulds or glasses in which you are going to make the charlottes.
- 7 min.Prepare syrup for soaking by mixing 200 ml Sugar syrup and 2 tablespoons Kirsch.
Cut biscuits to height of glass or mould, then put to soak in syrup.
- 8 min.Take a glass and place a paper circle in the bottom (for ease of turning out), then arrange soaked biscuits all round the side.
You can put the curved side of the biscuits against the glass to give a fluted look to your charlotte, or the flat side to make the outside smoother.
- 2 min.Put a layer of charlotte mixture in the bottom.
- 2 min.Arrange a layer of cherries on top.
- 2 min.Then add a second layer of charlotte mixture.
- 2 min.If necessary, even up the height of the biscuits.
Continue filling all the glasses, then leave in the fridge overnight, or at least 3 hours, covered with plastic film.
- 3 hoursShortly before serving, turn out each charlotte onto a dessert plate or dish (you will find that this is easy thanks to the paper circle), and remove paper.
- 5 min.Decorate with a cherry on top, and pour over a little cherry syrup (from the jar).
Serve the charlottes cool, but not too cold, ideally kept at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
Remarks:Griottines are a product of Fougerolles in Haute-Saône, eastern France. If you can't find them (or morello cherries), you can use normal fresh cherries cut in two and stoned. In which case, replace the syrup poured over before serving with cherry juice mixed with a little sugar syrup, or simply a little custard (crème anglaise).
As for all charlottes, finger biscuits are the usual choice, but the best for this recipe are Montbozon biscuits, not only delicious but small, which suits these individual desserts.
Using this recipe you can make charlottes of pretty well anything you like: fruit, chocolate, etc.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Real custard sauce (crème anglaise): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pears and caramelised walnut samosas , Rice pudding (riz au lait), Apple Tatin Terrine, Pistachio panna cotta with custard, Caramelized brioche with pear and kiwi, ... [All]
- Chantilly cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Apple charlotte with toasted brioche, European glass, Quick Strawberry Millefeuille, Warm apple feuillantines, Pavlova, ... [All]
- Griottine cherries: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cherry and pistachio tarts, Black Forest gateau, ... [All]
- Sugar syrup: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Melon with port sorbet, Pistachio tiramisu, Fruit coulis (fruit purée), Blackcurrant, vanilla and lime verrine , Peach and blackcurrant coupe, ... [All]