Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.It is not essential, but I advise you to pre-cook rice (especially if you don't use a special dessert rice, also called round rice) 2 or 3 minutes in boiling water.
- 5 min.Then drain it and rinse under cold tap water.
- 1 min.In a pan, put 200 g rice.
- 2 min.
- 1 min.Pour 1 litre whole milk, and put on medium heat.
- 10 min.Bring to boil stirring frequently with a spatula or a wooden spoon, to prevent sticking on the bottom.
- 30 min.Rice is ready when it has absorbed all the milk, it should be smooth and remain slightly creamy.
Off the heat, add 300 g Real custard sauce (crème anglaise).
- Your rice is ready, you can now divide it between small dishes and leave to cool.
- 1st variation, rice pudding with apricots: put stewed apricots into the dish to about 1/3 of the depth, then fill up with rice pudding.
- To show this off, use a glass dish.
- 2nd variation, chocolate rice pudding: add chocolate chips to the rice pudding while still hot in the pan. Mix well until all chocolate is melted.
Then put in dish to cool.
Remarks:If you don't have crème anglaise, instead you can add 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk to in the cooked rice while it it still hot.
It's a question of taste, but I prefer my rice pudding warm rather than cold. So I frequently put the dish in the microwave for a few seconds before eating.
You can also consider sprinkling some sugar on top, and pass it under the grill to caramelize.
Recipes which use it: 2
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Whole milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cannelés, Pistachio ice cream, Real custard sauce (crème anglaise), Gratin Dauphinois, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, ... [All]
- Real custard sauce (crème anglaise): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio panna cotta with custard, Caramelized brioche with pear and kiwi, Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , European glass, Apple Tatin Terrine, ... [All]
- Rice: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crispy spinach rolls, Creamy risotto with diced vegetables and flax seeds, How to cook rice in rice-cooker, Pilau rice, Koulibiak in pie dish, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sugar syrup, Amaretti, Cookies, Chocolate rolls (petits pains), Apple and almond gratin, ... [All]