Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
Cut a circle of puff pastry 26 cm (10 inches) in diameter and prick all over with a fork or pique-vite (pastry pricker).
- 10 min.
- 3 min.Once the pastry is starting to brown and is almost cooked, take it out of the oven and remove both the wire rack and the paper. Sprinkle icing sugar over the top and put it back in the oven...
- 5 min....for a few minutes, until the top caramelizes (if necessary, finish this under the grill).
Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- 36 min.
- 30 min.
- 5 min.Flatten the points with a tea spoon dipped in milk to make the puffs nice and round.
- 20 min.Once the puffs are cooked, leave them to cool.
- 10 min.
- 2 min.Stand the pan of caramel on a folded cloth.
- Dip the rounded side of a choux puff into the caramel...
- And place on a baking sheet (covered with a sheet of cooking parchment), caramel side downwards.
- 40 min.Do this with all the puffs then put the caramel to keep hot.
Fill the puffs with confectioner's custard, without turning them over.
- Turn a filled puff the other way up, hold by the top (the set caramel side) and dip the bottom into the liquid caramel...
- Then stick this around the outside of the pastry circle and hold in place for a few seconds until the caramel sets.
Do this with the other puffs until you have completed the ring around the Saint Honoré.
- You can put a puff in the centre for added artistic effect if you wish.
- Fill the space with rosettes of whipped cream.
- You can pipe small rosettes of cream around the outside, between the puffs, as a finishing touch.
Refrigerate before serving.
Remarks:This recipe needs a lot of work, so it is a good idea to be organised and to prepare the elements that can wait in advance, as far as possible: puff pastry circle, confectioner's custard and choux puffs (you can even fill these).
Once you keep to the basic principle (puff-pastry base, choux pastry around it and cream filling) you can vary this in many different ways: by changing the cream, for example. Give free rein to your imagination.