Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.
- 15 min.Bake the mini eclairs.
- 5 min.When cold, cut in half lengthways.
- 5 min.Fill each "bottom" with apple-flavoured confectioner's custard.
- 5 min.Replace the "lid".
Fill all the eclairs like this and put to wait in the fridge.
- 5 min.Prepare the walnut nougatine: preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Spread 50 g walnut kernels on a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes in the oven.
- 5 min.When cooled, use a blender to grind the toasted walnuts to a powder.
- 10 min.
- 1 min.Tip the ground walnuts into the caramel...
- 1 min....and mix thoroughly.
Now you need to work as quickly as possible, because the nougatine will set rapidly as it cools.
- 1 min.Pour the nougatine out onto a sheet of cooking parchment.
- 3 min.Lay a second sheet on top and roll the nougatine out as thinly as possible with a rolling pin.
- 2 min.Use a large knife to cut the nougatine, or at least score it, into strips about 1 cm (0.3 inch) wide.
- 5 min.When cooled, cut the strips apart.
- 5 min.Stick these onto the tops of the eclairs with a little confectioner's custard.
Refrigerate until needed, but do not serve too cold.
Remarks:It is not essential for the nougatine to be a rectangle exactly the size and shape of the eclair. On the contrary, the "deconstructed" look with pieces laid side by side can be attractive.
Some recipes insist that the caramel for the nougatine should be made "dry", i.e. without added water, but I don't think this is essential.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Choux pastry (pâte à choux): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Puits d'amour, Chouquettes, Profiteroles, Saint Honoré cake, Paris-Brest, ... [All]
- Apple confectioner's custard: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Quick Strawberry Millefeuille, Nantes Tourton, Alsatian apple tart, Home-made terrine of foie gras, Apple charlotte with toasted brioche, ... [All]
- Walnut kernels: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pears and caramelised walnut samosas , Tomato and cream cheese terrine, Chocolate thins with toasted nuts, Walnut paste, Apple Strudel, ... [All]