Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Pour hot milk onto egg-yolks while mixing.
Clean the pan.
- 2 min.Pour back the mix in the cleaned pan, through a strainer.
- 10 min.Put the pan over low heat, and thicken while stirring continuously using a maryse.
- If you use a thermometer, stop when temperature reaches 85°C or 185°F.
The important goal is to avoid mix from boiling, but slowly thicken it.
- 3 min.As soon as mixture thickens, remove from heat, add cold 200 ml liquid cream and mix well.
- 20 min.Cool by placing bowl in cold water, stirring from time to time.
Keep in the fridge covered with plastic film.
Ideally, you should let stay the mixture for several hours, or a night, to let all the flavours and aromas of vanilla do their job.
- 20 min.Put in the ice cream maker 30 minutes before serving.
- Tip: This is not absolutely necessary, but your ice cream will be better, lighter, if you add, 1 or 2 minutes before the end, and egg white roughly beaten in the ice cream maker.
Remarks:Before pouring the mixture in the ice cream maker, you can pour it throught a fine strainer, to remove any remaining small bits.
This recipe is the basis for many other ice-cream recipes like chocolate, pistachio, coffee, etc.
You can also have a look at the page dedicated to ice creams and sorbets.
Recipes which use it: 6Of which:
Source:From Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Celeriac and mushroom gratin, Celeriac soup with mustard, Gratin Dauphinois, Cheese Soufflé, Pistachio custard tart, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Polenta with spinach and soft-poached egg, Penne with Mushrooms, Creamy Winter Vegetable Soup, Tagliatelle and courgette spaghetti, carbonara style, Little vanilla, clementine and chestnut verrines, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Biscuit de Savoie sponge cake, Stewed apple (compote), Fraisier (French strawberry cake), Strawberry and rhubarb crumble, Fresh mint ice-cream, ... [All]