Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Put the 50 cl milk in a pan, add 100 g sugar. Split vanilla pods, scrape the inside to get all the black grains, and add them to milk.
Bring to the boil, remove from heat, cover and leave infuse for 30 minutes.
- 30 min.Put the 6 egg-yolks in a bowl with the remaining 50 g sugar.
- 2 min.Beat briefly, just enough to mix sugar and egg-yolks well.
Note: Contrary to what many people think, it's not necessary to beat egg-yolks and sugar to white stage, because it produces a froth that you must later remove.
- 2 min.Pour milk onto egg-yolks while beating.
- 5 min.Leave to stand 5 minutes, then remove all froth on the surface.
- 10 min.
- 3 min.As soon as mixture thickens, remove from heat, add 20 cl cream and mix well.
Pour the mixture throught a fine strainer (to remove any bits) into a bowl.
- 20 min.Cool by placing bowl in cold water, stirring from time to time.
Keep in the fridge covered with plastic film.
Ideally, you should let stay the mixture for several hours, or a night, to let all the favours and aromas of vanilla do their job.
- 30 min.Put in the ice cream maker 30 minutes before serving.