Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Pour hot milk onto egg-yolks while mixing.
Clean the pan.
- 2 min.Pour back the mix in the cleaned pan, through a strainer.
- 10 min.Put the pan over low heat, and thicken while stirring continuously using a maryse.
- If you use a thermometer, stop when temperature reaches 85°C or 185°F.
The important goal is to avoid mix from boiling, but slowly thicken it.
- 3 min.As soon as mixture thickens, remove from heat, add cold 200 ml liquid cream and mix well.
- 20 min.Cool by placing bowl in cold water, stirring from time to time.
Keep in the fridge covered with plastic film.
Ideally, you should let stay the mixture for several hours, or a night, to let all the flavours and aromas of vanilla do their job.
- 20 min.Put in the ice cream maker 30 minutes before serving.
- Tip: This is not absolutely necessary, but your ice cream will be better, lighter, if you add, 1 or 2 minutes before the end, and egg white roughly beaten in the ice cream maker.
Remarks:Before pouring the mixture in the ice cream maker, you can pour it throught a fine strainer, to remove any remaining small bits.
This recipe is the basis for many other ice-cream recipes like chocolate, pistachio, coffee, etc.
You can also have a look at the page dedicated to ice creams and sorbets.