Step by step recipe:
- 1 hour 40 min.The day before, make the almond tuiles, they should be 10 cm - 4 inches diameter, and as thin and rounded as possible.
- 15 min.Peel 1 kg apple, cut into four, remove core and cut each quarter in two or three again.
Your should aim to get thinnish apple slices of very regular size.
- 10 min.In a frying pan over medium heat, put 30 g Clarified butter and sprinkle with sugar. When sizzling, add apple slices and sprinkle with more sugar.
When apples are lightly coloured, turn over and sprinkle with sugar again.
When slices are golden brown, add the ½ glass Calvados and set alight ("flambé").
Set aside on a plate. The apples should not be overcooked.
- 10 min.With a cutter or knife and template (bowl, small saucer, ...) cut out 2 circles by guest (+ 2 just in case), 10 cm - 4 inches diameter from the brik or filo pastry sheets.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Then dip it in sugar on both sides...
- 5 min.... and put on a non-stick baking sheet.
Do this for all the circles.
- 4 min.Put the baking sheet under the grill, and grill the circles both sides, until they are golden brown.
- 10 min.Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- 5 min.Making your dessert, everything follow should be made at the last time:
Reheat the apple slices.
On each serving plate put an almond tuile, add a layer of apple slices.
- 20 min.Then a brik circle.
- Another apple layer.
- And finally the last brik circle.
Pour custard (crème anglaise) around your work of art, possibly with some red fruit coulis drops.
Add a rosette of whipped cream on top, preferably with a forcing bag, or as a "quenelle" formed with two teaspoons.
Serve without delay.
Remarks:If you don't have Calva, use rum instead.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Apple: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tart Tatin, Four quarters (adding fruit), Brioche Tatin, Quince and apple compote, Sweet pancake rolls from Brittany, ... [All]
- Real custard sauce (crème anglaise): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Caramelized brioche with pear and kiwi, Individual charlottes with morello cherries, Apple Tatin Terrine, Pears and caramelised walnut samosas , Sautéed pears with custard and orange syrup , ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French croissants, Gravlax, Cannelés, Real custard sauce (crème anglaise), Soft fruits in sabayon, ... [All]
- Clarified butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Clafoutis "Marie-Antoinette", Pear and lime meringue pie, Caramelized brioche with pear and kiwi, Tarte Jurassienne, Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, ... [All]