Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Separate the whites and yolks of 6 eggs.
Put the whites into a food mixer bowl.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.Melt 50 g butter in another pan over low heat.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Still over low heat, pour in the hot milk in a trickle while whisking to mix thoroughly...
- ...until the sauce is thick.
If this looks familiar, it's because you have just made a classic bechamel sauce.
- 2 min.Remove from the heat, add 150 g grated cheese...
- 3 min....and mix well.
- 5 min.Check that the mixture is not too hot (you should be able to hold your finger in it); if not, leave to cool for a while longer.
Then add the egg yolks 2 at a time, mixing thoroughly at each stage.
- The mixture should now be very smooth.
Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- 5 min.Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- 1 min.Tip 1/4 of the beaten whites into the mixture.
- 4 min.And fold in gently.
- 2 min.Then tip this onto the rest of the egg whites...
- 5 min.And fold in gently.
It doesn't really matter if there are a few lumps of white that are not completely mixed in.
- 5 min.Butter the dish and dust with flour, as shown in this video.
- 2 min.Pour the mixture into the dish until no more than 2/3 full.
- 30 min.Bake for about 30 minutes, until the soufflé is well risen and nicely browned.
- Serve immediately with a green salad, for example, a few herbs and a good French dressing (vinaigrette).
Remarks:Here are the main points to watch if you want to make a successful soufflé: :
- The roux must not be allowed to brown (don't overcook it)
- The mixture must not be too hot when you add the egg yolks (or they will cook)
- The whites must be beaten until they are quite stiff
- The dish should be buttered well, then dusted with flour
- The dish should have sloping sides (to allow the soufflé to swell and rise during cooking)
For a professional touch you can give the soufflé a flat, smooth top by smoothing the surface with a palette-knife before baking and begin the cooking with 3 minutes under the grill.
As for the cheese, I prefer Comté, but you can use whatever you choose, even a mixture.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio ice cream, Potimarron and celeriac autumn soup, Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Pain perdu, Hot chocolate, ... [All]
- Grated cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Duck Parmentier, Bolognaise lasagne, Aperitif rolls, Celeriac and mushroom gratin, Soufflée omelette with cheese, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, The total turnip, Spinach and hard-boiled egg gratin, How to fry eggs well, Lobster Thermidor, ... [All]