Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Peel and wash 1 kg potatoes, slice and don't wash again because the starch on cut potatoes is important for a smooth texture.
Salt and pepper, and mix with your hand.
- 10 min.Put potatoes in a pan, add 300 ml whole milk and bring to boil.
As soon as it boils, turn down heat and cook for 10 minutes.r
- 2 min.
- 20 min.Continue cooking on low heat for 20 minutes, stiring from time to time to prevent potatoes from sticking on bottom of pan.
Preheat oven to 356°F (180°C).
- 5 min.Drain potatoes, and keep cooking cream.
Divide potatoes between ramekins, distribute cooking cream on top, and add some small pieces of butter.
- 10 min.Put ramekins in a big dish or tin, filled to half the height with hot water, and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- 1 min.You can finish with a short time under the grill to brown the top.
Remarks:Gratin dauphinois is excellent with a red meat. It's also an excellent family Sunday evening recipe.
Source:Michel Guérard, via Dominique.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ramekins of duchess potatoes, Big knife-cut chips (French fries) , Potato and broccoli gratin, Potatoes with prawns, Vegetable pie, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Coconut-vanilla cream for Elsa , Lille style chicken, Mushroom Pancakes au Gratin, Crunchy verrines, Cream sauce with Vin Jaune, ... [All]
- Whole milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Gâteau Basque , Potimarron and celeriac autumn soup, Coconut-vanilla cream for Elsa , Chocolate cream with a crunch, irish coffee mousse, Milk rolls, ... [All]
- Grated nutmeg: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Bechamel sauce, New York style pasta, Pasta with green asparagus, Ramekins of duchess potatoes, Cheese Soufflé, ... [All]