Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium heat, then fry a slice of ham for a few seconds to brown it on one side only.
- Do this for the 4 slices ham.
- 2 min.Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
Butter a metal oven tray or roasting tin.
- 3 min.Line the bottom with a layer of puff pastry.
- 3 min.Cover with bechamel sauce.
- 3 min.Then a layer of grated cheese.
- 3 min.Arrange the slices of ham on top.
- 3 min.Add another layer of bechamel sauce, then more grated cheese.
- 3 min.Finish with a second layer of puff pastry and brush the top with beaten egg yolk.
- 5 min.You can decorate the pie by sticking on cut-out shapes of left-over pastry.
- 35 min.Bake on a low shelf in the oven for about 35 minutes.
You can eat this pie hot from the oven, or leave to cool and cut into 4 portions (with a serrated knife) and refrigerate or freeze it for later.
Remarks:One difficulty of this recipe is to prevent the bechamel sauce soaking into the pastry and leaving it heavy and dense. To avoid this, get the pie into a hot oven as soon as it is assembled in the tin.
You can also begin by precooking the underneath layer of puff pastry in the dish, after pricking it all over with a fork just beforehand to stop it puffing up.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mini lemon millefeuilles, Saint Honoré cake, Olive twists, Strawberry feuilleté, Caramelised apple pie, ... [All]
- Bechamel sauce: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spinach Croque-monsieur , Harvest Gratin, Croque-monsieur, Stuffed artichokes au gratin, Moussaka, ... [All]
- Grated cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potimarron (chestnut pumpkin) "au gratin", Quiche Lorraine, Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Duck Parmentier, Oxtail Parmentier, ... [All]