Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 40 min.Boil 200 g potatoes and when cooked, peel and slice.
- 8 min.
- 4 min.Use the same pan to fry 4 slices smoked ham for just a few seconds on each side.
Preheat the oven to 210°C (420°F).
- 3 min.Distribute the ham over the slices of bread.
- 3 min.Arrange the sliced potatoes on top.
- 3 min.And finish with the cheese.
Put in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- 15 min.Take out of the oven as soon as the cheese has fully melted and is lightly browned on the top.
Serve immediately, with a good green salad if possible.
Remarks:You can replace the Espoisse with another kind of cheese. I prefer one that is both soft and well-flavoured (Saint Nectaire, Saint Marcellin, Mont d'Or...) but it's just as good with Comté or Cheddar.
And to drink?Legend has it that Espoisse was Napoleon's favourite cheese, and he apparently liked to wash it down with a Gevrey-Chambertin. So, open a bottle of this and you'll dine like an emperor.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Hotpot my grandmother's way , Winegrowers' sausage casserole, Morteau sausage, Maroilles cheese quiche, Late Winter Soup with Fresh Spinach, ... [All]
- Époisses: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Shallot confit tart, Crispy cheese parcels, ... [All]
- Bread: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mediterranean toast, Corn salad with croutons, Warm autumn salad, Gratin slices with spinach, Quail egg canapés, ... [All]
- Smoked ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Endive gratin with cancoillotte, Crème de foie gras, Eggs Benedict , Kérinou slices, Potato tortilla (Spanish omelette), ... [All]