Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.
- 10 min.
Prepare the polenta cakes
Prepare the polenta, spread out approximately 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick and leave to cool.
- 2 min.Use a cutter to cut out 8 cm (3 inch) circles...
- ...allowing one circle per person. Collect up the trimmings of polenta and save for another recipe.
- 5 min.Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a frying pan on high heat and when hot, add the polenta cakes.
Cook until nicely browned on both sides.
Set aside and keep hot.
- 5 min.
- 1 min.
- 1 min.Pour in 1 glass dry white wine and leave to reduce by 3/4.
- 15 min.
- 5 min.
- 1 min.
Assemble the dish
Place a polenta cake on each of the hot serving plates.
- 3 min.Place the cutter over the polenta while you arrange the spinach on top. Press this gently into place...
- ...and remove the cutter.
This method ensures a neat circle of spinach, just the right size.
- 1 min.Place a hot poached egg on top.
- 2 min.Pour the shallot sauce over and serve immediately.
For a little dramatic effect, like in the photo, you can split the egg to let some yolk run out just before serving.
Remarks:The tricky part of this recipe is the timing: getting everything ready at the same time so that the different elements (egg, spinach, polenta, sauce) are hot when assembled.
If you prefer a smoother sauce, you can strain it to remove the bits of shallots before adding the cream.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cooked spinach: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spinach Omelette, Spinach and Comté Loaf, Spinach Croque-monsieur , Scrambled eggs with butter-fried bread and fresh spinach, Spinach brik parcels, ... [All]
- Polenta: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Taos hotpot, Firied fillet of sea bream with polenta, Rata-tart, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Artichoke hearts forestier , Rabbit civet "à la normande", Creamy risotto with vegetables , Toffee apple upside-down cake, Pork medallions with "full" turnips, ... [All]