Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 2 min.Mix well.
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- 5 min.Prepare the cabbage leaves (Savoy cabbage in the photo): cut the best of the large, outer leaves from the cabbage and trim off the thickest part of the stalk.
Try to use the biggest leaves you can, slightly curved with as little central stalk as possible (generally rather tough).
- 1 min.Plunge a cabbage leaf into the salted boiling water and leave to cook for about 1 minute.
- 2 min.Take the cabbage leaf out of the water and plunge into cold water for 2 or 3 minutes.
- 2 min.Remove the cabbage leaf from the cold water, drain and dry on a tea-towel.
Prepare all the leaves like this.
Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- 15 min.You can cut out the central leaf stalk if it is too tough or too thick.
- Now stuff the leaves: shape a ball of sausagement in your hand.
- Place this on a cabbage leaf...
- ...and roll up.
- 15 min.Stuff all the leaves and arrange in large roasting pan or oven-proof dish.
- 1 min.
- 35 min.Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes. Spoon the stock from the bottom of the dish over the leaves occasionally to keep them moist and do not let them brown too much on the top.
- Serve 2 leaves per person with or without the cooking juices, as you prefer.
Remarks:You can use minced meat instead of the sausagemeat, but this tends to be a bit drier.
You can also replace 1/4 of the stock with dry white wine.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Vegetable stock: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Curried prawn risotto, Melt-in-the mouth meat and vegetables in a sealed casserole, Chinese Soup, Mexican-style pork medallions , Endive and beer soup, ... [All]
- Sausagemeat: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: ... [All]
- Grated cheese: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Leek and Mimolette tart, Bolognaise lasagne, Pollack Parmentier, Stuffed tomatoes and courgettes, Duck Parmentier, ... [All]
- Green cabbage: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pan-fried salmon with white cabbage, Smooth mixed vegetable soup, Sautéed green vegetables, Alsatian-style salad, Sautéed Pork with Peanuts, ... [All]