Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.Cook 300 g Thai rice.
This can be done beforehand, even several days before.
- 25 min.
- 10 min.Cut carrots and turnips into small pieces.
- 10 min.Chop leeks finely.
- 5 min.Chop shallot.
- 10 min.Cut cauliflower into florets.
- 1 min.Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan on medium heat, as soon as oil is hot, add shallot, salt, pepper, and cook 1 minute.
- 1 min.Add carrots, turnips and cauliflower.
Stir well, but do not salt at this stage to prevent vegetables from releasing too much water.
- 7 min.Cover and leave to cook 7 minutes.
We put these vegetables in first, because they take longer to cook than leeks, and leeks became a dull green if overcooked.
- 3 min.After this time, remove lid and add leeks, mix well and cook uncovered for 3 minutes.
- 2 min.After this time add cooked rice, mix well and cook 2 more minutes, still uncovered.
Salt, pepper, and check seasoning.
- Your Thaï rice with small vegetables is ready.
Remarks:For success with this recipe, it's important that leeks stay a pretty green and are not overcooked, it's more attractive and tastier. That's why the lid is removed when they go in the pan as the last vegetables.
You can use a different kind of rice: apart from Thaï, there's Basmati, Italian, Camargue, etc.