Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Remove the stalks from 3 tomatoes and cut into fairly thick slices. Salt and pepper these on both sides.
- 15 min.
- 1 min.Add the chopped mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir well.
- 10 min.The mushrooms will give off water, so leave this to evaporate...
- ...slowly until only the mushrooms are left.
Cover and set aside.
- 5 min.Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil into a non-sitck frying pan over medium heat. When hot (lightly smoking), add the tomato slices.
Be careful as these will spit! Have a large lid handy to protect your cooker.
Fry the tomatoes on both sides.
- 2 min.Tip the cooked tomatoes onto a plate. Remove and discard the skins.
- 3 min.Beat 6 eggs, salt and pepper.
- 2 min.Clean the frying pan, return to the heat and pour in 6 tablespoons olive oil.
When this is nice and hot arrange some of the tomato slices in the pan without overlapping, in a line if possible, like in the photo.
- 7 min.Pour the beaten eggs around the tomatoes and cook the omelette, pushing the eggs around gently with a wooden spatula.
- 2 min.When the omelette is almost cooked but a little of the egg is still runny, add the mushrooms on top of the tomatoes.
- 2 min.Then add the remaining tomato slices.
- 2 min.Fold the sides in towards the centre and turn off the heat.
- 5 min.Cover the omelette with a sheet of aluminium foil and leave to rest like this for a few minutes before serving to finish cooking gently.
Remarks:In Provence, tomato omelettes are often eaten cold. This is the meal eaten by the hunters of Bartavelles (Marcel's father and uncle Jules) in 'My Father's Glory' (La Gloire de Mon Père) by Marcel Pagnol.
And to drink?My father used to say, "With an omelette, you need a drop of white!", and he was absolutely right, so I suggest a very dry white, such as a Muscadet.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Mushrooms: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sauce Normande (for fish), Spaghetti with mushrooms, Summer Salmon Blanquette, Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, Baked Mont d'Or with diced mixed vegetables, ... [All]
- Egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Meatballs, Cherry clafoutis, Rich hazelnut buttercream, Eggs in brioche nests, Oat shortbread biscuits, ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Penne with Mushrooms, Scallop and leek pancakes, Tomato tatin, Little vegetable omelettes, Paella, ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Avocado with Sautéed Prawns , Pan-fried scallops and chanterelles with Noilly Prat sauce, Preserved lemons, Bolognaise lasagne, ... [All]