Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
Grate the cheese, preferably cheddar.
- 4 min.Fry 2 slices ham, cut in half, in 1 teaspoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Allow it to colour slightly on both sides.
- 5 min.Using the same pan, without cleaning it, pour in 300 ml beer and bring to the boil.
- 1 min.Turn down the heat and add the cheese.
- 5 min.Stir gently but constantly until the cheese melts and mixes with the beer. Pepper.
- 2 min.Take a small oven-proof dish and place 1/2 a slice of ham in the bottom, then a slice of toasted bread on top...
- 1 min....then the other half of the ham.
- 10 min.Pour the melted cheese over and bake (or put under the grill) to brown the top lightly.
Serve piping hot.
Remarks:It is important to use Cheddar cheese, the orange variety keeps the right mood. Use whatever beer you prefer. I like to use a Belgian white beer.
You can also serve Welsh rabbit with a fried egg sat on top (sometimes known as a buck rabbit).
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cheese: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Filo leeks and cheese tart, Hamburgers, Pan-baked hash brown (Hash-brown casserole), Aligot, Winemaker's toast, ... [All]
- Beer: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Endive and beer soup, Carbonnade, Gratin du Nord, ... [All]
- Ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Endives , Mushroom buckwheat pancakes, Involtinis, Potted meat (rillettes), Potato and two ham gratin, ... [All]