Step by step recipe:
- 30 min.
- 5 min.Remove flesh inside tomatoes with a teaspoon or a pommes parisiennes spoon (easier), and keep all that you remove.
- 3 min.Salt inside tomatoes, and leve upside down on a tray.
- 5 min.Dispcard tomato seeds, keeping the flesh and cut off pieces (minus hard green stalk end), chop roughly, salt and leave to stand in a strainer.
- 10 min.Boil a pan of salted water, put in 200 g peas and cook until soft (2 or 3 minutes usually).
Remove from pan, drain and put into cold water. Drain again when peas are cold, then dry.
- 5 min.Blend peas, and if possible pass through a fine strainer to remove skins and get a very smooth puree.
- 5 min.Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
Add 2 tbs of this mix to the pea puree, salt, pepper, and keep covered in the fridge.
- 10 min.
- 5 min.Fill tomatoes with this mix.
- 5 min.Place a tomato upside down on a serving plate, coat with remaining olive oil-lemon juice mix.
- 5 min.With a very sharp knife, cut out tiny circles of olive, as thin as possible.
- 19 min.Stick olive circles on tomato to get the ladybird effect. Tip: position them with the point of a knife.
Make the head with 1/2 olive and 2 blades of chives, then surround with pea puree.
Do this with all your tomatoes, and serve without delay.
- For adults you could make a quicker version without olives.
Remarks:With this recipe you will become a god or goddess of cooking for your young children or grand-children. After this they will frequently ask you to make ladybird tomatoes again... To make it a real surprise, close the kitchen door if possible while you cook, and then see their eyes open wide when you put the plates on the table.
To cook rice, use the pilaf method or rice-cooker.
Source:Home made, from a photo seen in a women's magazine a long time ago.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Peas: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chinese style chicken, Salmon "en papillote" with small vegetables, Icelandic-style fish and vegetable pie, Macédoine of vegetables, French-style peas, ... [All]
- Tuna in oil: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Avocado with Tuna, Cucumber and salmon salad, Oriane's tuna rillettes , Tapenade, Nanou's tuna tart, ... [All]
- Cooked rice: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rice and peas, Grilled fillet of salmon with corn salad cream, Prawn salad with a crunch, Gratin of chicken with rice and sautéed mushrooms, Pollack fillet baked with rice and vegetables., ... [All]