Step by step recipe:
- 14 hoursStart as in the recipe for terrine of foie gras, remove veins, season and leave to marinate. But do not salt, just pepper, spices, alcohols, and marinate overnight.
The following day, place the liver on a very clean cloth which does not smell of detergent (you may prefer to use single-use pharmacy gauze or muslin).
- 10 min.Wrap the liver quite tightly in the cloth or gauze and tie it up with string.
- 1 min.Take a fairly large pot (terrine) and put approximately 1 cm of salt in the bottom.
- 1 min.Place the liver on this bed of salt.
- 3 min.Then cover it completely with salt, put the lid on the pot or cover with plastic film, and refrigerate for 48h.
- 2 daysAt the end of this time, remove the liver from the salt.
- 3 min.Then take off the cloth or gauze.
- 2 hoursWrap it in plastic film to prevent it darkening, and leave at room temperature for an hour or two to soften.
- 5 min.Place in pot (terrine).
- 5 min.Pour over the foie gras a thin layer of melted duck fat to help it keep longer. Cover and refrigerate for a further 2 or 3 days, to let its flavour develop.
Remarks:It's a slightly disconcerting recipe, but at least there is no risk of seeing the liver melt during cooking due to a too hot oven...
Note that this does not give quite the same texture as oven-cooked liver. Difficult to describe this difference, maybe "a bit firmer".
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French bean salad with vinaigrette , Preserved lemons, Potted meat (rillettes), How to prepare broccoli, How to cook pasta properly, ... [All]
- Goose fat: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rustic chicken and mushroom pie, Cassoulet, Seafood sauerkraut, Röstis, Chicken with rice and leeks, ... [All]
- Port: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Melon with port sorbet, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Pâté de campagne, Lobster Thermidor, Terrine of foie gras, ... [All]