Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Cover the pastry with slices of ham but avoid overlapping them as far as possible.
- 3 min.Roll up the pastry...
- ...gently into a...
- 30 min....cylinder.
Stick down the end of the pastry (the last inch or 2 centimeters) using a little beaten egg as "glue".
Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes (or 30 minutes in the fridge) to firm up the pastry and make the roll easier to cut.
- 2 min.After this time, preheat the oven to 220°C (430°F).
Glaze the roll.
- 5 min.Then cut into slices about 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick...
- ...and arrange these on a baking sheet.
Don't worry if the slices aren't perfectly round at this stage, they will swell as they cook and regain their shape.
- 10 min.Bake until nicely browned (about 10 minutes). Best served hot or warm.
Remarks:The spirals can be cooked beforehand and reheated quickly in the oven.
You can vary the type of ham, or even use smoked salmon instead.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Millefeuille, Yvetot Douillons, Smoked salmon sacristains, Little apple turnovers with almonds and raisins, Ham "friand" pie, ... [All]
- Beaten egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Brioche feuilletée (flaky brioche), Small cheese and bacon rolls , Milk rolls, Yvetot Douillons, Chestnut moelleux, ... [All]
- Smoked ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pasta with green asparagus, Little vegetable omelettes, Crab and smoked salmon club sandwiches , Dauphinoise potatoes with Serano ham, "Buttonhole" quail eggs, ... [All]
- Pepper: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pasta with green asparagus, Beetroot and fried chicken salad, Filet mignon with mustard and tarragon sauce, Tahitian style fish, Cocotte eggs with Comté, ... [All]