Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 5 min.Cover the pastry with slices of ham but avoid overlapping them as far as possible.
- 3 min.Roll up the pastry...
- ...gently into a...
- 30 min....cylinder.
Stick down the end of the pastry (the last inch or 2 centimeters) using a little beaten egg as "glue".
Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes (or 30 minutes in the fridge) to firm up the pastry and make the roll easier to cut.
- 2 min.After this time, preheat the oven to 220°C (430°F).
Glaze the roll with beaten egg.
- 5 min.Then cut into slices about 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick...
- ...and arrange these on a baking sheet.
Don't worry if the slices aren't perfectly round at this stage, they will swell as they cook and regain their shape.
- 10 min.Bake until nicely browned (about 10 minutes). Best served hot or warm.
Remarks:The spirals can be cooked beforehand and reheated quickly in the oven.
You can vary the type of ham, or even use smoked salmon instead.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Vegetable pie, Tomato tart, Express apple tart, Mini lemon millefeuilles, Langoustine and leek tarts, ... [All]
- Smoked ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sautéd broccoli with ham, Surprise bread, Rolls of fish in smoked ham, Thin endive tart, Gougères, ... [All]
- Beaten egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pains briochés aux raisins, Ham "friand" pie, Small foie gras pasties, Olive twists, Rustic chicken and mushroom pie, ... [All]
- Pepper: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Salmon and spinach quiche, Filo leeks and cheese tart, Gratin slices with spinach, Cauliflower curry, Cheese Soufflé, ... [All]