Step by step recipe:
- 20 min.Peel and wash 1 kg potatoes.
- 40 min.Cook in salted boiling water until soft.
- 10 min.Put in a blender or a vegetable mill...
- 2 min....until you have a classic mashed potato.
- 5 min.Divide mashed potato in two, salt and pepper the first half, then over a low heat add 100 g butter and half the cream, while stirring constantly.
- 2 min.Make the duchess potatoes: salt and pepper the other half of the mashed potato, add 1 pinch grated nutmeg and 3 egg yolks.
- 1 min.Whip until nicely smooth and yellow.
- 15 min.
- 5 min.Peel and mince or finely chop 1 shallot.
- 2 min.
- 10 min.Add chopped 1 leek, mix well and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- 10 min.Then add the remaining cream, salt and pepper, and leave to thicken uncovered over a low heat.
- 5 min.Cook 125 g small pieces of bacon in a frying pan without fat, until they are cooked but not browned.
- 5 min.Preheat your oven to 180°C or 356°F.
Start assembling the ramekins: butter the bottom, and put in a layer of mashed potao about 1 cm or 0.5 inch deep.
- 5 min.Add a layer of cooked leek.
- 5 min.Add some bacon.
- 5 min.And finish with a layer of duchess potatoes, if possible by using a forcing bag (it's prettier).
- 20 min.Cook in the oven until duchess potatoes are golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Serve hot.
Remarks:If you don't have a forcing bag, spread the duchess potatoes on top of ramekin, and shape with a fork.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Minestrone, Gratin Dauphinois, Seafood sauerkraut, Comtoise tart for Seàn, Potato and broccoli gratin, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Broccoli savoury custard, Tatin apples with mascarpone cream, Tagliatelle and courgette spaghetti, carbonara style, Cauliflower curry, Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, ... [All]
- Small pieces of bacon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to cook bacon and remove excess fat, Tartiflette, Alsatian-style salad, Quiche Lorraine, Dipping bread with cheese, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: "BN style" chocolate-filled biscuits, Aperitif rolls, Scallops with fondue of leeks, Eggs "en cocotte" with spinach, Coconut tuiles, ... [All]