Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Roll out 300 g Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée) into a large rectangle, then cut into 2 equal parts.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Cover one piece with 4 slices smoked salmon.
Don't leave gaps (as in the photo) without salmon, the pastry should be completely covered, don't worry if salmon overlaps the edge of the pastry, it will be trimmed later.
Pepper the salmon generously.
- 30 min.Put the other piece of puff pastry on top, egg coated side downwards against salmon.
Put in the freezer for 30 minutes so that pastry is firm enough to be cut easily.
- 5 min.After this, remove from fridge, and still with a brush, coat top with egg yolk.
Preheat your oven to 430°F (220°C).
- 10 min.Cut into sticks of about 0.5x7 inches or 1x10 cm.
- 5 min.Twist the sticks: i.e. hold each stick at both ends and give 2 or 3 turns to one end while holding the other still (or twist both ends opposite ways one turn).
- 20 min.Put in the oven for about 20 minutes, be careful towards the end of cooking time not to let your sacristains burn.If you don't twist the sticks, you will not get sacristains but allumettes (matches, yes...), they taste just the same, but are a bit less attractive.
Remarks:Re-heated sacristains are not as good as straight from the oven. But if you must make them in advance, do everything up to cutting, then put in the freezer, otherwise fold in a plastic film and keep in the fridge. Cut, twist and cook at the last minute.
If you plan to use bought ready-made puff pastry, use 2 packs so you get the 2 parts already rolled and cut to the right size.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Puits d'amour, Apple Pie, Koulibiak in pie dish, Tomato and courgette tart, Express apple tart, ... [All]
- Smoked salmon: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Salmon and spinach quiche, Potato Waffles with Smoked Salmon, Avocado and smoked salmon terrine , Cubed salad, Scandinavian cocktail, ... [All]
- Egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate cream, Little lemon biscuits, Cannelés, Salmon chard rolls, Key Lime Pie for Jeremy, ... [All]