Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Cut 200 g smoked pork belly (or thick cut streaky bacon) into small pieces, not too thick.
- 5 min.
- 20 min.Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add 250 g green lentils.
Cook until the lentils are just tender, but no more, otherwise you will end up with lentil soup.
- 10 min.
- 3 min.When the lentils are cooked, drain them in a seive and run them briefly under the cold tap.
This is done to stop the cooking quickly and stop them turning into lentil purée.
- 2 min.Once the lentils are thoroughly drained, tip them into the pan with the bacon and mix well.
- 3 min.Chop the chives finely.
- 5 min.Add the onions and chives to the lentils, pour in 4 tablespoons French dressing (vinaigrette) and mix well.
Serve warm if possible.
Remarks:Try to use the delicious green Le Puy lentils. This is not essential, but they are so very good.
If you don't have any smoked bacon, plain bacon, diced ham or sausage (preferably smoked) will do fine.
And to drink?I recommend a red without too much tannin, such as the uncommonly good organic Gamay made by the Balloux, a wine-producing couple based in Hugier (Haute-Saône, France).
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Green lentils: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sausage and lentils "en cocotte", Cured Pork Belly With Lentils, Lentil and cold-meat salad, ... [All]
- Smoked pork belly (or thick cut streaky bacon): You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Express sauerkraut, Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, ... [All]
- French dressing (vinaigrette): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Red cabbage salad with chives, Valay salad, Warm salad of potatoes and purple artichokes, Chicken and Avocado Salad, Warm broccoli and Tuna Salad, ... [All]
- Vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Artichoke hearts forestier , Cocotte eggs with Comté, Spicy seafood plancha, Cauliflower tabouleh, Mayonnaise, ... [All]