Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 12 min.Knead 4 minutes on speed 1, then about 8 minutes on speed 2, until the dough becomes slightly elastic.
Gather the dough into a ball, cover with a plastic sheet and leave to rest for 2 and a half hours at room temperature, until doubled in volume.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 2 hours 30 min.At the end of this time, tip it onto the work surface and press down on top to release gases.
- 5 min.Then reshape into a ball, while kneading a little with your hand.
- 10 min.Cut dough into lumps of of approximately 50g. If you have weighing-scales, you can do this by weighing, but flour the scale-pan first.
- Divide up all the dough.
- 15 min.Then "roll" the lumps, under your hand, like modelling clay.
Do this for all the dough.
- Flatten each ball with your fingers, to form a kind of elongated cake.
- Place a stick of chocolate on it.
- Roll the dough up around the chocolate.
- 45 min.If necessary, tidy up the ends. The dough should extend barely 1 cm beyond the chocolate, but it should no longer be visible.
- 1 hour
- 5 min.Then, with a brush, glaze the rolls with the beaten egg yolk, and put in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 20 min.Take out of the oven as soon as they are well coloured. They should not be overcooked, otherwise they will be too dry.
Remarks:If you plan to eat them the following day instead of freshly-baked, I suggest you re-heat them just before serving (about 10 minutes at 100°C or 212°F).
Katia gives us a good tip in case you have no sticks of chocolate: use leftover chocolate truffles.
[Translator's note: since when do chocolate truffles ever last long enough to be leftover?].
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pizza dough, , Grandma Solange's biscuits, Oat shortbread biscuits, Shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée), ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French custard tart, Pan-baked hash brown (Hash-brown casserole), Crusty pistachio, almond and apricot flan, Chocolate cream, Ciabatta, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Scrambled eggs (Oeufs brouillés), Eggs en Cocotte à la Française, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), Chaud-froid of grapefruit, pineapple and lime custard , Pecan fruit rolls , ... [All]