Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 7 min.
- 1 hourBring dough together into a ball, cover with a damp tea-towel, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume (about 1 hour).
- 5 min.Then cut dough into 2 lumps of same weight, roll each one into a ball.
Roll out one ball into a large rectangle.
- 3 min.Divide ¼ of the bacon over half the rectangle.
- 3 min.Then cover with grated Comté.
- 2 min.Make 3 slits with a sharp knife or dough cutter on the other half.
- 2 min.With a brush, moisten the dough all around bacon so that it sticks well.
- 2 min.Then fold dough over on itself.
- 5 min.And press well all round edges to stick.
Roll again gently to flatten.
- 5 min.Add another ¼ of the bacon on top, and sprinkle again with grated Comté.
- 1 hour
- 30 min.Put in the oven for approximately 30 minutes, until fougasse is golden brown.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
Remarks:Quantities of bacon and cheese are just suggestions, do not hesitate to adapt to your taste. Likewise for a more "Provençal" flavour, you can add some halved olives to bacon and Comté.
A fougasse straight from the oven, and cut into small cubes, makes an excellent aperitif.
If you plan to eat it later, I advise you to remove it from the oven as soon as barely cooked, and to bake it again for a few minutes just before serving: it's much better warm.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Milk rolls, Langoustine sabayon tart, Cigarettes Russes (Piroulines), Bechamel sauce, French Family Cake, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to fry eggs well, Choux pastry (pâte à choux), How to use gelatin, How to cook pasta properly, Chocolate Chantilly , ... [All]
- Small pieces of bacon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rabbit civet, Small cheese and bacon rolls , Eggs en Cocotte à la Française, African style chicken, Bacon rolls, ... [All]
- Comté cheese: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Triple-Cheese Pumpkin Gratin, Salmon and spinach quiche, Jura bread, Small cheese and bacon rolls , Spinach and Comté Loaf, ... [All]