Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Prepare 100 g raisins and put to soak in the rum.
- 2 min.Roll out 700 g Brioche dough into a large square 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) thick.
- 3 min.Trim off the side of the square nearest to you with a large knife to give a straight edge.
- 5 min.Spread 700 g Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream) evenly all over the dough. Use a palette-knife, if you have one, as it will make this easier.
- 3 min.Spread the raisins evenly on top.
- 5 min.Then roll the dough up.
This is the trickiest part of the recipe. You can use a palette knife to help you, as shown in the photo, or slip a sheet of paper under the dough to help you lift it up.
- 3 min.Roll up tightly and seal the roll by brushing only the trailing edge with beaten egg to help it stick.
- 30 min.Place the roll with the seam underneath on a baking sheet and put in the freezer for 30 minutes.
This is to firm up the dough and make it easier to cut.
- 8 min.After this "firming" time, cut the dough into slices 1 to 1.5 cm (1/4 to 1/2 inch) thick.
- 3 min.Arrange on the baking sheet with room between them, as they need room to expand.
- 5 min.Glaze the tops...
- 1 hour
- 20 min.After this, heat the oven to 240°C (460°F).
Glaze the buns again and bake for about 20 minutes.
Remarks:Those who like their buns even richer and sweeter add chocolate chips to the custard.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Brioche dough: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mini apricot and pistachio brioches, Chinois, Agen prune cake, St Tropez tart, Apple and Blackcurrant Brioche Pies, ... [All]
- Confectioner's custard (Crème pâtissière, or French pastry cream): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Puits d'amour, Strawberry Verveine Tart , Millefeuille, St Tropez tart, Paris-Brest, ... [All]
- Raisins: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Panettone, You should not add raisins to recipes dry , Benoîton, Little apple turnovers with almonds and raisins, Cramique, ... [All]
- Beaten egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ham "friand" pie, Sausage in brioche, Flaky brownie brioche, Caramelised apple pie, Beef Wellington, ... [All]