Step by step recipe:
- 1 hour
- 5 min.Squeeze 4 limes, which should give you about 125 ml of juice.
- 2 min.Add the zest of one lime to the juice.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Put 4 egg yolks into a food-processor bowl.
- 5 min.Beat on maximum speed for about 5 minutes until the yolks plump up a little in volume.
- 3 min.Reduce the beater speed slightly and slowly pour in 400 g sweetened condensed milk.
- 3 min.Reduce the beater speed further and slowly pour in the lime juice and zest.
- Continue beating for a few more minutes until the mixture is fairly light.
- 2 min.Pour this filling into the tart case.
- 15 min.Cook for 10-15 minutes, just until the filling sets (check this by shaking the dish gently from side to side).
- 2 hoursLeave to cool, then cover with stretch plastic film and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 15 min.Just before serving, cover the top with rosettes of Chantilly (whipped cream).
- Your Key lime pie is ready.
Remarks:This recipe is very well known in the USA and is typical of the South. There are many different variations: with meringue topping instead of cream, crushed biscuits and butter instead of pastry, etc.
You can find mediocre versions all over Florida. These are ususally over-sweet, artificially flavoured and green coloured. Now, a good Key lime pie is not green!
Source:Based on a recipe by Stephanie Jaworski.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Chantilly cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: European glass, Peach Melba, Pear charlotte, Rum babas, Strawberry Verveine Tart , ... [All]
- Sweetcrust pastry (pâte sablée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Crust for tea, How to bake blind a pastry cake , Peach and green tea tart, Bounty-style tart for Alison, Strawberry tart, ... [All]