Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.
- 10 min.
- 10 min.Cut 4 chicken breasts into pieces and slice ½ Chorizo (tip: remove skin from chorizo before cutting, then the skin will not shrivel and spoil the appearence during cooking).
- 5 min.Prepare ¼ cauliflower.
- 5 min.Prepare 150 g peas.
- 5 min.Wash and scrape 250 g mussels.
- 5 min.Wash 250 g prawns.
- 3 min.Put a large pan on high heat (even better, use a real paella pan if you can), and pour in 3 tablespoons olive oil. When really hot, tip in mussels all at once.
- 1 min.They will spit, so cover pan with a sheet of aluminium foil.
- 3 min.Cook like this for 2 or 3 minutes until the mussels open.
Remove from the heat, and lift out mussels with a skimmer. Set aside.
- 3 min.Put the pan back on high heat and cook prawns 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
- 2 min.Remove pan from heat, and lift out prawns with a skimmer and set aside.
- 3 min.Empty remaining cooking juices out of the pan, then pour in 3 tablespoons olive oil and put back on high heat.
Add sliced chorizo and lightly brown 2 or 3 minutes.
- 15 min.
- 3 min.Add onion and garlic to remaining cooking fat, season, stir well and cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- 5 min.Tip in 500 g rice and stir well until "pearled", as for pilau rice.
- 2 min.Add diced tomatoes, stir well.
- 3 min.Then add chicken and chorizo, plus any juices that may have drained out while waiting, it all helps add flavour.
- 1 hour
- 15 min.Meanwhile, shell mussels and peel prawns.
- 5 min.
Remarks:To get closer to the "true" paella, I encourage you to use round Spanish rice rather than classic long grain.
Paella is one of those dishes that gets better each time you reheat it, so don't hesitate to make plenty at a time. It freezes very well.
It's important, in my opinion, that all the elements of a paella should be ready to eat, so no mussels, prawns or scampi still in their shells, or chicken with skin or bones. It takes longer, no doubt getting away from the true paella, but it's much more enjoyable to eat.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: French croissants, Pizza dough, Classic French white bread, Couscous, Minted Melon, ... [All]
- Rice: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sushi, Rice pudding (riz au lait), Pea risotto "mantecare", Rice pudding with fruit and nuts, Creamy risotto with vegetables , ... [All]
- Mussels: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mussels marinière, Fillets of sole Dieppoise, Spaghetti with mussels and basil, ... [All]
- Prawns: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Quick prawn curry, Vietnamese prawns, Curried prawn risotto, Crispy prawn rolls, Spicy seafood plancha, ... [All]