Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.Cut 2 slices smoked ham into thin strips.
- 5 min.Peel and wash 1 kg potatoes.
Slice, wash again, drain and dry in a cloth.
- 5 min.Pour 1 glass olive oil into a large pan, to give ½ cm ( ¼ inch) in the bottom. This seems a lot, but don't worry it's fine.
When oil is hot, add potaoes and garlic, salt and mix to distribute oil over potatoes.
- 25 min.Cook covered, stirring from time to time, until potatoes are just soft (about 25 minutes).
- 5 min.Discard garlic.
Add onion and ham, mix well and leave to cook, uncovered, for 5 more minutes.
- It doesn't matter, whatever many other recipes might say, if potatoes are browned, on the contrary it's even better.
- 3 min.Tip potaoes + onion and ham into a strainer to drain off excess olive oil.
- 5 min.
- 3 min.Add potatoes and mix.
- 10 min.Put a frying pan on medium heat, pour in 4 tablespoons olive oil saved from cooking potatoes.
When oil is hot, add potato-egg mixture, then with a wooden spatula, scrape bottom of pan to help eggs cook.
Do this until only a little liquid egg remains.
- 3 min.Turn down heat, cover and leave to cook for 3 minutes.
- Your tortilla is almost cooked now, and should be turned over.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Slide tortilla back into pan, and leave to stand for 2 or 3 minutes off the heat to just cook the bottom.
- Serve cut into wedges like a tart, hot or cold, if possible with a green salad and French dressing (vinaigrette).
Remarks:For the ham, if possible use one of those great spanish hams (Jamon Iberico).
If you are worry about turning tortilla upside down, leave it on the first side, still covered, 5 minutes off the heat to finish cooking top.
There are infinite ways of filling tortillas, from this recipe let your imagination guide you. Don't hesitate, when they're in season, to use spring onions.
And to drink?
|A spanish wine of course!|
If you can, try "Villa Narcisa", a great red wine from Javier Sanz, wine maker in Valladolid (Spain), or "Orden Tercera", also from Javier (contact www.jsviticultor.com).
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Baked potoatoes with herb butter or cream , Potato purée , Home-made potato crisps , Winegrowers' sausage casserole, Mushroom velouté, ... [All]
- Egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Corsican tarts, Chestnut Fudge Cupcakes, Savoury mini-madeleines with 2 cheeses, Chocolate mug cake, Leek and Mimolette tart, ... [All]
- Smoked ham: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sautéd broccoli with ham, Crab and smoked salmon club sandwiches , Eggs Benedict , Ham spirals, Rolls of fish in smoked ham, ... [All]
- Onion: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs meurette, Ratatouille confite, African style chicken, Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Ratatouille, ... [All]