Step by step recipe:
- 1 hour 15 min.Chop 1 onion.
Prepare 250 g cooked spinach. This is fine done the day before.
- 3 min.Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a pan over medium heat, and when hot add the chopped onion, salt and pepper and cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- 3 min.Turn down the heat and add the spinach. Stir well for 2 or 3 minutes, mostly to separate the spinach which has a tendancy to clump together during preparation.
- 3 min.Remove from the heat, add 1 egg and 150 g chickpea (gram) flour, salt and pepper, mix well...
- ... until thoroughly and evenly mixed.
Heat oil for deep-fat frying.
- 5 min.Meanwhile finely chop tarragon and coriander .
- 3 min.Pour 150 g plain yoghurt into a bowl, salt lightly, pepper generously, then add the herbs and mix well, preferably with a whisk.
- 2 min.Scoop up a tablespoon, or ice-cream spoon, of batter...
- 30 min.... and put to fry in the hot oil.
- 2 min.Remove when nicely golden, drain thoroughly, and place on absorbant paper.
- Serve without delay, while hot. Place both dishes in the centre of the table where everyone can help themselves to fritters and dip them in the dressing.
If you can't find chickpea (gram) flour, never mind, just use normal flour, and add a little curry powder to retain the Indian feel.
Use a yoghurt that's thick and slightly sharp like "greek-style" if possible.