Step by step recipe:
- 1 hour 15 min.
- 3 min.Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a pan over medium heat, and when hot add the chopped onion, salt and pepper and cook 2 or 3 minutes.
- 3 min.Turn down the heat and add the spinach. Stir well for 2 or 3 minutes, mostly to separate the spinach which has a tendancy to clump together during preparation.
- 3 min.Remove from the heat, add 1 egg and 150 g chickpea (gram) flour, salt and pepper, mix well...
- ... until thoroughly and evenly mixed.
Heat oil for deep-fat frying.
- 5 min.
- 3 min.Pour 150 g plain yoghurt into a bowl, salt lightly, pepper generously, then add the herbs and mix well, preferably with a whisk.
- 2 min.Scoop up a tablespoon, or ice-cream spoon, of batter...
- 30 min.... and put to fry in the hot oil.
- 2 min.Remove when nicely golden, drain thoroughly, and place on absorbant paper.
- Serve without delay, while hot. Place both dishes in the centre of the table where everyone can help themselves to fritters and dip them in the dressing.
Remarks:If you can't find chickpea (gram) flour, never mind, just use normal flour, and add a little curry powder to retain the Indian feel.
Use a yoghurt that's thick and slightly sharp like "greek-style" if possible.