Step by step recipe:
- 2 hoursPrepare the cockles and the cooking liquid left. This can be done well in advance, or the day before.
- 10 min.Preheat the oven to 220°C (430°F).
Roll out the pastry and line the tart moulds or tins. Fill with baking beans (or lentils) to prevent the pastry puffing up too much.
- 15 min.Bake the tart cases for around 15 minutes, watching for colouring.
Remove the baking beans and keep the cases hot in the residual oven heat (after turning off).
- 10 min.Pour 200 ml liquid cream into a pan and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add pepper but no salt.
Add around 5 tablespoonsful of the cockle cooking liquid and taste to check the seasoning. If necessary, add a little more of the cockle liquid.
- 2 min.Turn down the heat and add 2 egg yolks.
- 5 min.Beat to mix thoroughly and continue beating gently until the "à la poulette" (chick) sauce thickens.
Remove from the heat as soon as it is thick enough.
- 5 min.Tip in the cockles and stir round briefly to reheat them.
Heat the plates.
- 5 min.Place a tart case on each plate and fill with a spoonful or two of cockles in sauce.
You can also pour the sauce over whatever you are serving on the side, such as the rice shown here.
Remarks:Just before serving, you can add a few chopped chives to the sauce if you wish.
Tarts like this should be served immediately as the sauce will soon start to soften the pastry and make them less appealing.
And to drink?A dry white wine, such as a "Gros-plant" from the Nantes region.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cockles: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to prepare cockles, Tagliatelle with cockles, Fillets of sole Dieppoise, Fisherman's Ragout, ... [All]
- Liquid cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Endive and beer soup, Summer Salmon Blanquette, Thin endive tart, Creamy risotto with vegetables , Little vanilla, clementine and chestnut verrines, ... [All]
- Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tomato tart, Leek and fresh tuna tart, Epiphany galette, Chicken and mushroom pie, Ham "friand" pie, ... [All]
- Egg yolk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Lemon Confectioner's Custard, Salmon chard rolls, Paris-Brest, Little lemon biscuits, Spaghetti Carbonara, ... [All]