Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.In a pan put 400 g fish, add enough water to cover the fish, add salt and put over a meadium heat.
As soon as the water is hot, add 1 tablespoon fish fumet. We do that because it is much easier to mix with hot water.
Cover, bring to the boil over a low heat and cook the fish gently.
- 6 min.The fish is cooked when it becomes opaque.
It's important that the fish is not overcooked, otherwise it will be too soft and fragile.
- 2 min.Put the fish in a strainer to remove all the water.
- 8 min.Then carefully remove from the fish all the bones, skin and fat.
You must keep only the flakes, the very best of the fish.
- 15 min.Peel and wash 3 turnips. Cut into fine sticks.
- 15 min.Peel and wash 3 carrots. Cut into fine sticks.
- 5 min.Prepare ¼ green cabbage, raw.
- 2 min.In a big pan, melt 30 g butter over medium heat.
- 2 min.Put all the vegetable sticks in the pan, add salt and pepper, then stir well.
- 8 min.Put a lid on the pan, or like a real chef, a circle of greasproof paper with a hole in the centre (the chimney).
Cook the vegetables for about 5 to 8 minutes, stir frequently to be sure that they don't burn.
The vegetables must be just cooked, but still a little bit crunchy "croquant".
- 3 min.Cut 2 slices smoked ham into strips.
- 3 min.Put in a pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil until them lightly roasted.
- 5 min.Then add fish flakes, stir well, add salt and pepper (taste to check) and cook 2 or 3 minutes until the fish is reheated (it's already cooked).
Cover and keep hot.
Heat serving plates.
- 2 min.Prepare the sauce:
In a pan put 4 tablespoons white (spirit) vinegar over high heat, add 3 shallots finely chopped, salt and pepper.
Cook for 1 or 2 minutes until the vinegar start to boil. Be careful that the shallots don't brown. If this starts to happen, remove the pan from the heat for a moment.
- 1 min.Add 2 tablespoons liquid cream, and bring to the boil again.
- 7 min.
- 5 min.Arrangement ("le dressage"):
The plates must be hot, you could put them in the micro-wave for 1 minute, at max. power.
On each plate, put a small circle of "julienne" vegetables.
On the julienne, place the fish, and finally about 2 tablespoons of "beurre blanc".
You can run a ribbon of sauce around the vegetables, which is attractive.
Get it to the table as soon as possible!
Remarks:You can use various sea fish: salmon, tuna, etc. I works very very well if you mix them in the same recipe, .
It's not necessary to use fish already prepared by the fishmonger, because it's very easy to prepare after cooking.
As you can read "le beurre blanc" is not a light sauce, though delicious. But you can easily replace it with a lighter sauce, even with a little olive oil with herbs.
Source:Home made, but above all this is the first recipe on this site made with the help of my son Nicolas, who is actually studying to be a chef, I'm very proud of him !
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Fish: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Quiche Bretonne, Seafood sauerkraut, Warm autumn salad, Sushi, Fish in a salt crust, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Purée of Jerusalem artichokes with foie gras, Kugelhof for Nanou, Chaud-froid of grapefruit, pineapple and lime custard , Icelandic-style fish and vegetable pie, Stock-pot fish , ... [All]
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pickled gherkins, Fresh pasta dough, How to prepare romanesco, Poached eggs, Artichoke hearts forestier , ... [All]
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chicken and mushroom pie, "Oeufs rabattus" with leeks, Crispy rolls with chicken and leek, Pan-fried salmon with white cabbage, Chicken and mushroom brik rolls, ... [All]