Step by step recipe:
- 8 min.Prepare your whole fish (cleaned by the fishmonger, but no need to remove scales): wash the inside thoroughly to remove any traces of blood.
It is better to use a whole fish, but if this is not the case, as in the photos, you will see how to allow for this later.
- 3 min.Dry the inside of the fish with absorbent paper and fill the cavity with thin slices of lemon and the herbs of your choice (parsley, thyme, bay, etc.). Pepper, but do not salt.
- 1 min.Close the fish well over the stuffing.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
- 3 min.Spread an even layer of coarse salt ½ cm ( ¼ inch) a little larger all round than the fish on a baking sheet.
If you are using Guérande sea salt, this is easy to work as it is very slightly damp. But if you are using ordinary white coarse salt, I advise you to humidify it a little with a glass of water.
- 1 min.Place the fish on the bed of salt.
If your fish no longer has its head, seal the end with a small piece of aluminum foil. It is important to do this, or your fish will be too salty.
- 1 min.Insert the probe of the thermometer into the centre of the thickest part of the fish.
- 5 min.Then cover the fish completely with more salt until you can no longer see it (apart from the tail).
- 30 min.Bake in the oven until the thermometer reads 60°C (140°F), at which moment the fish will be perfectly cooked.
Heat the serving plates.
- 3 min.Break open the salt crust...
- 3 min....and lift off the fish skin, which should be easy to remove now.
If possible, scrape off and discard the brown part, indicated by the arrow, which is not good to eat.
- 10 min.
Remarks:The choice of fish is up to you, depending on what you can find at your fishmonger's. In the photos I am using line-caught sea bass. Almost any fish will work, but salmon and sea bream are particularly good.
If you do not have a thermometer, your can calculate the cooking time by the weight of the fish: 1kg = 30 to 40 minutes cooking.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Coarse salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: How to prepare spinach, Potted meat (rillettes), French bean salad with vinaigrette , Preserved lemons, Salmon marinated like herring, ... [All]
- Fish: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pollack Parmentier, Stock-pot fish , Fish in a sesame crust, Warm autumn salad, Seafood sauerkraut, ... [All]
- Lemon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pear sorbet, Clementine sorbet, Preserved lemons, Peach and mint salad , Little lemon biscuits, ... [All]
- Herbs of your choice: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Warm Leek and Potato Salad, Tender tuna, Baked potoatoes with herb butter or cream , Seafood feuillantines, Avocado and smoked salmon terrine , ... [All]