Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Wash 16 scallops, dry thoroughly and put on a plate on absorbant paper, then cover with a second sheet.
Leave to wait in the fridge.
- 15 min.Prepare 200 g chanterelles: cut off the stalks if they are dirty, then brush the mushrooms quickly under a gentle stream of cold water.
Important: do not soak the chanterelles or their delicate flavour will be lost in the water.
- 5 min.Cut any large mushrooms into four lengthways and leave to wait on a cloth or absorbant paper.
- 2 min.Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a pan on high heat. As soon as the oil is smoking, so very hot, add the mushrooms and cook without salt, stirring continuously for 2 minutes.
Please note: we don't add salt at this point as the mushrooms would give off water and go soft.
- 2 min.Tip the mushrooms into a strainer to drain them, and only salt them now.
- 4 min.Using the same pan, still on high heat, pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and when really hot add the scallops.
Be careful, they will spit, so put a lid over 3/4 of the pan if you wish.
- 4 min.Salt and pepper before turning the scallops over once they are a nice golden brown. Allow 3 or 4 minutes on each side.
- 2 min.
- 3 min.
- 7 min.Stir thoroughly and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, add 1 teaspoon French mustard and leave to thicken (just a couple of minutes).
- 2 min.Turn down the heat and add the mushrooms. Stir to mix well and check seasoning.
- 5 min.Put a layer of mushrooms on each plate and lay 4 scallops per person on top.
Garnish with chives and serve immediately.
Remarks:If you don't have any chanterelles use other wild mushrooms or cultivated ones as a last resort.
The same goes for the Noilly. You can use another vermouth like Martini or Cinzano instead.
And to drink?A white wine goes really well with this dish. You might like to try a Pinot Gris from Alsace.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Chanterelles: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Individual creamy endive gratins, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sauce Normande (for fish), Fresh mint ice-cream, Spaghetti with mussels and basil, Turban of sole with langoustines, Fillets of sole Dieppoise, ... [All]
- Scallops: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Scallops with fondue of leeks, Scallops with green asparagus tips and parmesan, Warm scallop and cabbage salad, Scallops with cabbage julienne, Scallops with crunchy vegetables and wine sabayon, ... [All]