Step by step recipe:
- Cover the salmon completely with the remaining salt and leave like this for 24 hours in the fridge.
- After this time, remove the fish from the salt and rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Leave the salmon to soak in cold water for 24 hours, changing the water after 12 hours.
- Put 5 g peppercorns in the bottom of a terrine, then add half the onions, carrots, thyme and bayleaves.
- Place the drained and dried salmon fillet on the top.
- Add the rest of the carrots, onion, thyme and bayleaves, then cover with the groundnut oil.
Leave to marinate for at least 48 hours.
- On the day when you want to eat it, drain the salmon, wipe with absorbant paper and slice thinly.
- Slice 4 cooked potatoes and arrange on a plate.
Tip: if the potatoes are cold, put the plate in the microwave for a few seconds to heat them throgh.
- Spread the carrots and onions over the potatoes. Don't drain them too thoroughly, but let some of the oil marinade trickle over the potatoes.
- Arrange the sliced salmon on the top.
Serve without delay before the potatoes go cold.
Remarks:Don't throw the marinade away. The oil will have absorbed the flavour of the herbs and spices, so it can be used for cooking.
And to drink?A dry white wine, such as a muscadet.
Source:Based on a recipe in the Libération newspaper from Jean-Pierre Vigato.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Coarse salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Potted meat (rillettes), How to cook pasta properly, How to prepare broccoli, Stock-pot fish , How to prepare endives , ... [All]
- Oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pancake batter, Spinach brik parcels, Roquefort sauce, Quiche Lorraine, Caramelized Onions, ... [All]
- Peppercorns: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Preserved lemons, Herb olive oil, Feta in olive oil with herbs, ... [All]
- Cooked potato: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Warm salad of potatoes and purple artichokes, Gratin du Nord, Croque-monsieur gourmand, Gratin of Endives with Mont d'Or, Röstis, ... [All]