Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Rinse 24 scallops briefly. If they are fresh, there should be no need, and they will have all the more flavour once cooked.
Dry on a cloth or papier absorbant.
- 15 min.
- 2 min.
- 5 min.Add the chopped leeks, stir well, and cook uncovered until leeks are barely tender and still slightly crunchy.
- 10 min.Add 100 ml cream, stir well, salt and pepper. Turn down heat and leave to cook gently until cream thickens. Remove from heat.
Heat serving plates.
- 3 min.In a frying pan or other wide pan, preferably non-stick, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and ing 6 over high heat.
When sizzling, add scallops one at a time, placing them carefully so that they do not touch each other, and without moving them around as they stick instantly to the pan. This is normal and gives the wonderful flavour to the finished dish.
- 6 min.Salt lightly, pepper generously, and cook scallops 2 or 3 minutes on each side, so that they are nicely golden brown.
This is the secret for cooking scallops, they should be browned but not overcooked to retain their flavour.
- 2 min.Then arrange them immediately on the hot serving plates, and cover with aluminium foil.
- 2 min.Put the scallop pan back on high heat, and pour in 150 ml cream. Scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly with a spatula so that the cream can absorb all the flavour left from cooking the scallops.
Once this is done, and the cream begins to boil, tip in the leeks and leave to cook another one or two minutes so that the cream thickens and creates the famous "fondue of leeks".
- 5 min.Uncover the scallops, if any juice has run out, pour this off into the pan with the leeks, and stir it in.
Pour some leek fondue beside the scallops and serve without delay.
Remarks:The leeks can be prepared the day before.
To deglaze the pan, you can pour in half a glass of dry white wine before adding the cream.
And to drink?A dry white wine, like a Pouilly-fumé or maybe a Reuilly.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate rolls (petits pains), Baked leek and Camembert slices, Chocolate muffins, Breton Pie, Nanou's tuna tart, ... [All]
- Cream: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chicken and mushroom pie, Sliced cauliflower with 3 cheeses, Bounty-style tart for Alison, Fisherman's Ragout, Chocolate cream with a crunch, irish coffee mousse, ... [All]
- Scallops: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Scallops with green asparagus tips and parmesan, Pan-fried scallops and chanterelles with Noilly Prat sauce, Scallops with crunchy vegetables and wine sabayon, Scallops with cabbage julienne, Scallop and leek pancakes, ... [All]
- Leek: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Scallop and leek pancakes, Creamy Winter Vegetable Soup, Chicken pie, Maroilles cheese quiche, Cassoulet, ... [All]