Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.Place cabbage in front of you, then cut off and discard stalk end.
- 5 min.Remove any discoloured or wilted leaves and discard.
Stand cabbage on its base, then cut in two vertically.
- 2 min.Cut each half in two again.
You will notice that there is a white hard stalk inside, not good to eat.
- 3 min.Cut out and discard these hard stalk sections.
- 2 min.Then separate each ¼ into individual leaves.
- If there are any hard central veins, cut out and discard.
- 5 min.Do this until reaching cabbage heart that you can leave as it is, keeping only the very best of the cabbage.
Wash and drain leaves in cold water with 1 tablespoon white (spirit) vinegar added.
- 10 min.Make a pile of leaves and chop to make julienne while holding together firmly.
- Do this for all the other leaves.
Your cabbage is ready to use as raw.
- 3 min.For cooked cabbage, make boil a big pan of salted water (1 tbsp rough salt by litre of water), and put cabbage in.
- 5 min.When water boil again, put cabbage in cold water to stop cooking.
- 5 min.Leave cabbage to cool, then drain carefully and leave on a linen tea-towel or absorbent paper.
Note: The best way to drain cooked cabbage is in a salad spinner.
Recipes which use it: 19, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Green cabbage: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Coleslaw, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, Warm scallop and cabbage salad, Bacon and cabbage omelette, Veal Chop With Assortment of Vegetables, ... [All]
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pickled gherkins, Fish petals, vegetables julienne, and beurre blanc, How to prepare corn salad, Béarnaise sauce, Fresh pasta dough, ... [All]