Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.Start by trimming off the ends of each stalk, so that it's neat and fresh. Discard the offcuts.
- 1 min.
- 1 min.Pull the skin down to the end of the stalk and discard.
Do this all round, so that it is left completely green.
- 1 min.A little skin might be left towards the end of the stalk, so be sure to remove this too.
- 20 min.You should now have a stalk that is completely peeled.
Prepare all the stalks in this way.
- 5 min.Next cut the stalks into small pieces.
- Your rhubarb is now ready for use.
- You can see details on this video.
Remarks:Rhubarb stems that you buy should be firm, easily snapped and nice and red. If still green, they are not properly ripe; if soft, they are too old.
I do not believe, contrary to many other recipes, that it's necessary to blanche rhubarb before using on account of its acidity, and besides, this characteristic acidity is a feature of rhubarb that's well worth conserving.