Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Start by washing 1 kg fresh spinach in several changes of lukewarm water (not too cold, like for all earthy vegetables).
- 2 min.Drain.
- To prepare the leaves, you need to remove the central vein, for that there are two methods:
Fold the leaf in two along the central vein.
- Then with a knife, remove the central vein.
- You should keep only the green and tender part of the leaf.
- Second method: fold the leaf in half along the central vein.
- Then detach the vein by pulling on the stalk, from the base towards the top (in the direction of the arrow), until it's completely detached.
- 30 min.
- 10 min.
To blanch spinachIf you wish to blanch before cooking, which brings out the flavour, boil a large pan of water, then salt using 1 tablespoon of salt per litre of water.
Also prepare a large container, or your sink, full of water as cold as possible (ice-cold).
- Tip in spinach leaves.
- 1 min.Plunge the leaves down under the water, while waiting for it to come back to the boil.
- As soon as it boils again, remove spinach from pan with a skimmer, and transfer to ice-cold water.
- 5 min.As soon as spinach is completely cooled, drain thoroughly.
- 5 min.Then use a salad spinner to remove as much water as possible.
Note: you will sometimes read in other recipes that you should squeeze spinach in your hands to remove water. I don't think this is a good idea because it gives you hard blocks of spinach, with the leaves all stuck together, not so easy to use.
- And finally set aside on absorbant paper to collect any remaining water.
The spinach is ready to be used in your recipe.
- See how to in this video.
- If you wish to eat it like this (and it is already excellent), you just need to heat it through in a frying pan with a knob of butter.
- 1 min.
Spinach "wilted" in butterIf you have not blanched you spinach, take a high-sided pan, and melt 20 g butter in it.
- 5 min.As soon as it's fairly hot, add the spinach. If it won't all fit in the pan, wait until the first batch wilts, then add the rest.
- As soon as spinach wilts, salt and pepper, taste to check, it's ready.
Remarks:There is a a huge task of "spinach rehabilitation" to be done with children: "spinach is not inevitably the horrible green mush which you ate in the canteen"...
Recipes which use it: 17Of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Fresh spinach: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Koulibiak in pie dish, Fresh spinach with cream, Late Winter Soup with Fresh Spinach, Salmon and spinach quiche, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate madeleines, Doughnuts, Sicilian Epiphany Pie, How to fry eggs well, Cannelés, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stock-pot fish , Burger buns, Potted meat (rillettes), Foie gras cured in salt, How to prepare broccoli, ... [All]