Step by step recipe:
- 25 min.
- 2 min.Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F).
Give the meat the most basic of preparations: there is no need to try and remove all the skin or other bits, as these will be much easier to remove after cooking.
Salt and pepper on each side.
- 3 min.Put the meat into a roasting bag. Add the carrot, shallot, garlic, sage and bay leaf.
- 4 hoursPour 500 ml red wine into the bag, seal it and place in an ovenproof dish.
Cook in the oven for 4 hours (or longer).
- 10 min.When the time is up, take the meat out of the bag and finish removing any skin or bones left. You will see that these can be pulled off quite easily now.
- 5 min.Break the meat up into pieces the size that you want.
- You can keep the cooking juices, strain and reduce them to make a tasty sauce.
Remarks:If you do not have a roasting bag, you can use a casserole dish or stew-pot with a lid.
For the meat, choose a cheap cut, like braising steak (chuck or blade) or shoulder.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Beef : You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Tournedos Rossini, Taos hotpot, Beef Wellington, Carbonnade, Roast beef "like they do it in Santa Fe", ... [All]
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Beef braised in reduced red wine, Oxtail Parmentier, Two-stage beef chuck , Saucipain, ... [All]
- Bayleaf: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spaghetti Bolognese, Pâté de campagne, Salmon marinated like herring, Roast beef "like they do it in Santa Fe", Two-stage beef chuck , ... [All]
- Sage: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Spicy seafood plancha, Upside-down Parmentier, Preserved tomatoes, Oxtail Parmentier, Pan-fried chicken breast on mozzarella, ... [All]